CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Seral Mehmet

Profile:

I was thinking when you get an injury and there is a swelling. why does it swell? is it to get blood to the area to rebuild?

if that is so then surely using ice is flawed. If ice is to get the swelling down then that would = less blood/resources to rebuild/repair the damaged area

Just a thought. I know nothing about injuries and swelling.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Seral - injury causes swelling as additional blood goes to the area initially for clotting issues (in a cut or GSW) then to provide nutrients for healing. Too much blood can cause problems with compartment syndrome, or decreased circulation. Dead clotted blood has no way of getting out of the area at times.

Ice is good for the first day or two. Then alternating hot/cold applications are often recommended. (Two minutes as hot as you can stand/two minutes as cold as you can tolerate.) This is for orthopedic type injuries.

The heat opens the blood vessels and promotes circulation, the cold prohibits further swelling and or pooling of blood. When done for about 16 minutes at a time it's been extremely useful for a lot of athletes.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
From experience... ice helps a lot especially right after doing a bit of light work on a muscle/joint that was injured. Keeping the swelling down is key to good circulation to promote healing. Yeah, as Steve said, with swelling the blood pools and whatnot and will actaully prevent the healing process from occuring at a faster rate.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
Ice is used to decrease the amount of swelling and metabolic reactions that are taking place in the tissue. Since the tissue needs oxygen and these reactions also use oxygen it increases the risk of a hypoxic injury which is basically the tissues inability to acquire and utilize Oxygen. The ice slows down these reactions and decreases the risk of further cell damage due to lack of Oxygen.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
The most recent research shows that ice is not very effective at all for swelling. It is useful for decreasing heat from inflammation and pain. The most effective way to reduce swelling is elevation followed immediately by compression.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
inflammation is what's causing the swelling Jerimiah. But you're right that elevation and compression can help but you want to be carefull about blood flow to the area with compression. Too much can cut off any form of blood flow to the area and result in necrosis of the tissue.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Yes I know all about inflammation. I fight it every day at work.