CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I was in better shape the first time I met Linda, and still couldn't finish her. At 240, I had a max deadlift of about 500, Power Clean of 255, and bench of about 300. Linda for me then was 360 deadlift, 240 Bench, and 180 Power Clean. I made it to the 3 rep set after about 90 minutes, then decided that as close as I was, another set of 360 lb. deadlifts was going to cause me injury. I've hurt myself multiple times, so I know what it feels like.

I got to thinking about this the most recent go-round, and I really think to finish this safely, at my bodyweight, I would need a max deadlift of about 550. Then I thought, well, really, maybe 50% more than whatever I'm lifting. This works out to 540, so I think the thought is about right.

This led to the thought that perhaps a good scaling algorithm--and most of us really need to scale this WOD--would be deadlift and clean 2/3 of your max, and Bench 3/4 of your max. The bench of course is easier. The deadlifts and cleans by themselves, either/or, would also be little issue for most of us. It's the two combined that communicate so clearly to our spinal erectors.

This scaling won't rocket you through--pardon me, enable you to "storm" through--but should be doable--which is to say completable--for most people.

My two cents. My butt was dragging on the floor tonight when I hit the gym, so I didn't even do this much, but thought this was a good idea worth passing along. Self evidently, this workout requires you to be a good powerlifter.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
Linda, although it seems like it accounts for various bodyweights, doesn't seem to treat you (240) and me (175) the same. The ratios are the same, but bench pressing 240 ten times is so very different than pressing 175, whether or not someone is heavier. It doesn't seem to be a contiuous curve. Same with the clean, the cumulative fatigue of an explosive move like the clean (not to mention doing them after so many deadlifts) is vastly different with 180 than 135. Your formula seems to address this, but then I am remembering that the WOD's are designed for a 175 pound male in the first place, so maybe some reconfiguration at higher weights is expected.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
Martin Schap

Profile:
I have to agree with Brian. This one seems to be vastly harder for the big men. At about 155-160, I consider this to be maybe the hardest workout, but still very doable, and I am able to trickle through it in about 24 minutes. I may try it this time with the above-mentioned scaling algorithm and try to gauge how different it feels.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Michael Ledney

Profile:
I'm beginning to think that I'm just a freak when it comes to this workout. It is by far my favorite, and the most satisfying thing I do fitness-wise.

Based on the comments that I've heard, and my own observations with the boys in my garage, I think the scaling algorithm proposed has significant merit. I will encourage some of our bigger boys to give it some thought next week (we're on a 7 day delay). It's certainly more logical than our, "do as much as you can, then take 10# off..." method.

Still, I love Linda. I think it's the only WOD that I (230-240#) can beat my 18 yo/225# son at.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Tim McFarland

Profile:
My entire goal for 2007 is to do Linda as Rx'ed. I'm at 216 lbs today (down from 227 on 1/1), and I still am nowhere near a bw bench press for one rep, let alone for a kerjillion, so I always scale it by subtracting a certain % off all of the exercises. This time I did Linda minus 20%, or 1.3xbw deads, .8 bench, and .55 cleans. Still kicked my butt. I (durn well) WILL get my bodyweight down even more, which will help, but I'm determined to do this as rx'ed, even if it is harder for big guys. I figure, so what if it's harder, that just means I'll be stronger when I get there.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Brian, Martin, and Michael,

What are your max deadlifts? If my math is correct, I'm guessing it's around 2.25 of bodyweight or greater. Am I right?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
My max is about a 375, not quite 2.25, but almost, if that helps. Also, I have not been deadlifting for long, (still a relative beginner) so if you're using this in any complex calculations, keep that in mind.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
Justin Algera

Profile:
Linda by far is my hardest of the "ladies" and its because I'm right up there at 240 myself. Of course I should be down to about 200 (but thats a whole other issue). The thing is as well, its these "type" of workouts that are my strong point but this one just wipes me out, and I have to scale it so much. Right now my goal is just to get my body weight down to where it needs to be so I can actually do this one as prescribed, because I cringe everytime it pops up.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
Michael Ledney

Profile:
For a single I'll pull 480-500 at a BW 230-240, so I'm somewhere between 2x and 2.2. DL was modestly higher and BW was ~20# lower before CF. However, for some reason I can pull multiples that are very close to those numbers. For example, I did a really clean (no bounce/reset each rep) set of 5 on a recent 5*5 at 469.

Where I make my hay on Linda is on the bench, I can do all ten sets unbroken with minimal metabolic impact. This allows me to recover pretty well prior to cleans.

-FULL DISCLOSURE-

I am not, nor have I ever been one of those stereo-typical bench centric meat-heads that people globo-gyms worldwide, though I did, briefly, have a mullet in college. There's just something about my body comp that makes bench really easy for me.

PS - Brain, that's a really impressive pull for a relative beginner.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:
I just did Linda for the first time, and Michael you are right on. Bench is the easiest part. I did it as Rx'd. I'm 190#.

So I went with it at 285 DL, 190 BP, 145 Clean. Took me 1hr 2min. (I had only 2 bars so changing the weights for clean/dl got really annoying). I was beat. I had brought myself to the point of physical exhaustion. I took a nap at 9am-10am at work, then went home and racked out after work. I hadn't put my body through that much since survival training in the military. I hurt all over the next morning and it took great will power to get out of bed.

This workout is now something I will look forward to because it is a reality check. It is a "how intense are you" workout. I still gawk at a 20 minute time, because that is a movement roughly every 8 seconds, and during the 7,6,5 phase I'm hurting on the DL and clean to do them unbroken. Man I need to get there.