CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-04-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
Tom Shultz

Profile:  
I know everyone here lives, breathes and sleeps Crossfit. Are there any other programs Crossfit endorses ?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

I'd still be over at Dragon Door, trying to filter out the noise and find the signal.

There's a lot of good stuff there. They just fell in love with the tool, and lost sight of what they were using it for.

Thanks again to Tyler for pointing me here a long time ago.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Guy Crossland

Profile:
I was onto Stew smith first and did really enjoy it . The only problem was the nhuge reps involved . I did complete the 750 push ups day in his book Maximum Fitness but it left feeling that I could not do it again. It took me 53 minutes and the mental effort was enormous as you get to 500 and there is still 250 to go!Having said that I liked his approach.Working class fitness.com is good as well as well as Scrappers site and Ross Enamait.
However Dragondoor is good but I think that a "Pavel " cult developed,through no fault of his and certain elements did get lost. I doubt that he could have predicted the huge expansion of his empire. The only issue I have is the prices of some of the books. Stew Smiths books are sensibly priced but the DragonDoor stuff and a certain Mr Furey are almost scandalously high.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Neal Winkler

Profile:
If I wasn't doing CrossFit I would of figured it out myself and made a million jillion dollars! (Not really but I can dream.)
Old 01-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

Exercise and eating right has worked well for a lot of people. I may try that some day
Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
Dan John's "One Lift a Day" is what I fall into occasionally when I feel the need to switch gears. Simplicity at its best. It's especially great if your biggest deficiency is pure strength, as is the case with me. When I start to get antsy, I know I'm ready for the WOD again (at least mentally).
Old 01-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
John Walsh

Profile:
I’m not a kool aid drinker although I love and advocate CF along with many other systems.

I’d still be begging borrowing and stealing from others if CF ceased to exists. CF is just such a huge source for good ideas. I’d be lost without it. I followed the WOD religiously for over a year a found that in addition to other things I like to do it was too taxing on my joints. I think there is a high injury rate among CFers. I’ve learned a lot from Pavel, Art DeVany (as kooky as he is) and Go Animal, as well as others, about having fun and avoiding injury. It’s all helped temper what I’ve learned doing CF. I can’t get too dogmatic about any system. There is just too much good stuff out there. I know guys who are phenomenal who use mainstream BB and aerobic routines. Go figure.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I agree with the comments about Dragondoor. Great stuff but some of the guys are getting a bit blinkered.

I still use my kettlebells a fair bit but personally what I do is a mix of CF 3 x a week plus about 6-8 weightlifting workouts a week.

I try to pick CF workouts that work on my weaknesses and do all my heavy lifting in the O lifting workouts.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Guy Crossland

Profile:
David, I do not wish to be dense but who is Tyler?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Guy,

Tyler Hass, of ringtraining.com fame.