CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-16-2004, 12:53 AM   #1
Andrew Gray

Profile:
I have never done cleans with dumbells before and I was wondering what the form looked like. When I went to try them today I first tried to do them the same as with a bar. That just doesn't work though. I ended up starting them on my sides, the handles poiting forward/backward. When I came up my arms were basically doing a curl motion except with a shrug and my palms facing in instead of up. I finished with dumbell handles still facing front to back. I have no idea if this is anywhere near proper form (or if you can even figure out what I mean with my explination). I just went with the motion that felt the most natural to me. If someone could tell me the basic proper form of dumbell hang cleans I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:47 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
You already got it Andrew!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:39 AM   #3
Brian Gibson

Profile:
That's the way I did them. I was wondering the same thing. They also smoked me. I was wasted after 50 reps.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
Andrew Gray

Profile:
whew, ok that's good news. Those things are hard on the arms. It is much easier to get more of the load on your legs with the bar. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Anyone else feel heavy bicep involvement?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
If you have the feeling of heavy bicep involvement then you need more pop(not soda) from your hips or more dip when you catch, probably both. I think heavier dumbells would teach this properly because you wouldn't be able to curl them so easy.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
Philip Mancini Jr.

Profile:
To piggy back on what Graham mentioned, you shouldn't be feeling any bicep involvement.

Mike Burgener provides a great visual with a 10lb weight hanging from a short length of rope. You can pull the weight up with your shoulder but if you jerk the weight with a strong pop, the weight flies up on its own. This pop involves your hips and traps. If you get the pop right, the weight will float up on its own and you just have to dip to catch it. Your arms are basically straps and should stay loose throughout the movement.

I hope this helps.

Phil Mancini
Old 11-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Dumbbells held in a neutral position (i.e: fist not pronated or supinated)?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:44 PM   #9
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Using my biceps so much was one of the reasons I thought I was doing it wrong. I know when I use a bar it is almost all legs, but with the dumbells I have a lot more trouble transfering my leg push into the weight. I also find it harder to "pull" myself under the dumbells. It is easy with a bar because it stays in the same position, with the dumbells I have to turn them end over end when I dip under. I guess I have some work to do on my form.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
Alex McClung

Profile:
Watch the lifter on Dan John's postings: See how he throws ? Chin up on the ceiling, almost violent hip drive, arch, & shrug. True, when you're doing it right the weight seems to just float. When you're doing it wrong (like I do most of the time)it seems like all biceps. FWIW neutral start & finish seem/feel correct to me.