CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #21
Tom Shultz

Profile:  
Damn that's a lot of input, much appreciated. I'm going to stick with CF for a while. It's seems to me that it would be great to Cycle CF, Westside for Skinny Bastards, and Enamait's Infinite Intensity. They all seem like great routines.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #22
Tom Shultz

Profile:  
Any body check out this site by the way : http://www.undergroundstrengthcoach.com/ ? It looks they might have some good stuff ( I doubt it's Cross Fit caliber and it not free, but it's very cheap).
Old 01-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #23
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Some of the guys from Underground Strength post on here regularly.

I don't know if what they is the same as CF because they charge you before you can even find out (no offence Zach).

I'd be doing Carmen Electra's Official Aerobic Striptease Strip Workout.

http://www.aerobicstriptease.com/sto...omer/index.php
Old 01-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
Clay Jones

Profile:

Russ, that was sneaky! Now I'm thinking of joining Richard's clubhouse . . .

Without Crossfit, I'd be using training programs from Danny John, Jim Schmitz, and Bill Starr, with some Steve Justa and Dino training stuff thrown in. Keg lifts, anyone?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #25
Bill Betts

Profile:

Now that's an interesting question.

I probably would not be doing anything.

I started on free weights many years ago as a high school football player. But bit by bit the fitness industry maneuvered me and many others in to a body building type of program which in my case was a nautilus gym. Now I've never cared a gosh darn for my looks and care only for performance but I was sold the idea that isolation on a machine would make each individual muscle group stronger. That tied to the idea that cardio was a different training that included running, cycling, etc.

When what you are looking for is performance based, you will become discouraged with the diminishing returns from body building types of exerise and as in my case, leave weight lifting (machine lifting) behind. About a year ago at a trade show I met an old freind, (Mr. Twight) and he extoled the virtues of Crossfit. As well another gentleman who trains American Special forces in Alaska, assured me this was the way to go. Intrigued, I began the program and was very quickly and totally sold.

Part of the value as well is derived from the great expertise to be found on this web site. I am now an addicted and commited "zoner" and as well have reintroduced my self to a level of rock climbing that I thought was past my ability to pursue.

I just turned 50. Many times i've heard people my age say to me that they are in the best shape of their lives. I know when and where that was for me. I was 18, 178 lbs. I benched 310 lbs, ran the 40 yard in 4.5 seconds and squatted 430 lbs. None of these are impressive records but I feel for the first ime in many years that I have a chance of approaching these numbers as a result of Crossfit.

I may again lead 5:12 on rock as well. What a thrill.

What was I doing before Crossfit? Dabbling in various exercise programs with little success or commitment. I'd probably still be doing that.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:05 AM   #26
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I would be fat and lazy like before. Now I am just lazy :lame:
Old 01-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #27
Skip Chase

Profile:
Bouncing Booty Yoga

Skip Chase
Mt. Baker CrossFit
Burlington, WA

(Message edited by abselite on January 07, 2006)
Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 AM   #28
Gary Wetherholt

Profile:
I found Crossfit searching for exercise description's suggested by Charles Staley and his EDT program http://www.staleytraining.com/
Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #29
Tony Young

Profile:
I was heavy into Dinosaur Training before this and probably would be still. Brooks is into the intensity of lifting and may recommend sprinting as metabolic conditioning though I didn't do any. I love odd object lifting which I picked up from him. His training philosophy is a little bit "train like a maniac, nobody'll understand , get used to being alone" which I think is a huge drawback especially contrasted with the CrossFit community we currently enjoy. We still get dumb stares but that makes finding other CF'ers that much more of a pleasure.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 AM   #30
Hollis Petri

Profile:
Mountain climb, kayak, Orienteering, Mountain bike, trail run....repeat

Alas I'm getting old and have to start working on my flexibility and weaknesses so I can goof around with my kids when they are older. That's where xfit comes in.