CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Re: First Three Inches of the Shoulder Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Smith View Post
Let us take a moment and break this down... In your second sentence you state that "you should be catching some sort of bounce or hip drive out of the bottom." What do you think this bounce is for? Style points? It is to get past the weakest point in the ROM.
Exactly, the bounce is to get past the sticking point which not the bottom but a few inches out of the bottom, even up to a foot out of the bottom. Different people have different sticking points.

I must have misunderstood your first post. I thought you said the sticking point WAS the bottom. IMO, if you stick at the bottom, as in the weight descends and there is absolutely no ascent, then you put too much weight on. I am speaking in terms of Bench and Squat which is what you said.

Let me restate my original post in simpler terms. Squat is to Bench as Deadlift is to press. Squat and Bench start at the top and end at the top. Deadlift and Press start at the bottom and end at the bottom.

And finally, to the original poster, Have you tried breathing at the top of the press instead of the bottom. This will essentially make your press into more of a bench press, as in start at the top and end at the top. You just have to get the weight started on your first rep from the bottom. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that either. Rip recommends it in his book.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
Tyler Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Squat is to Bench as Deadlift is to press. Squat and Bench start at the top and end at the top. Deadlift and Press start at the bottom and end at the bottom.
Yes! Good stuff. I suppose it is relative to the #/kg of weight lifted... the sticking point with one weight may not be at the weakest point in the ROM. And I see what you are saying... The bench/squat being lifts where the weight is lowered and then raised in one fluid motion... and the SP and DL just a lifting/pushing/pulling motion.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Never thought about starting at the top. That might work. I don't know why this is my sticking point. I hear alot of people get stuck when the bar comes up above eye level. I have no problem there. I will try everything here. As Tyler said, it might just come down to working at it more. We'll see.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #14
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Smith View Post
...It is a simple physics concept.
Here are some more examples, if you are going to push a vehicle that has died in traffic... It takes much more effort to get the vehicle rolling initially than it does to keep it rolling after it has started...
*Wince*

I'm going to pretend I didn't just spend a term on Newtonian mechanics...

I'll just say that that's completely different from the point you were trying to make. It does seem similar, though - I'll give you that.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #15
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Work on your initial setup/walkout from the rack. It should be tight, smooth, and fast from unracking the weight to pressing. Any kink in this transition is going to reduce the amount you press.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #16
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Anthony,

So once I unrack that weight, place my feet and press. I gather the more time I stand hold the weight the worse off the lift could be.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #17
Travis Rieber

Profile:

This may not work for everyone, but the biggest jump I ever made in the Press was when I learned to use a narrow grip, with my hands just outside but still touching my shoulders. It took a few days to get used to my arms being wound so tight, but after about two weeks I just started blowing past my old PRs. Reference SS for all the good details about this.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
Never thought about starting at the top. That might work. I don't know why this is my sticking point. I hear alot of people get stuck when the bar comes up above eye level. I have no problem there. I will try everything here. As Tyler said, it might just come down to working at it more. We'll see.
Give it a try. YOu don't start at the top. The first rep still starts at the bottom. But once you do that first rep, you take very quick deep breaths at the top, it's a quick exhale/inhale and hold your breath, lower the weight to your shoulders and back up immediately, then another quick exhale/inhale/hold breath. It makes it into more of a bench press, where you start at top and end at top.

There is nothing wrong with it, as in it's not considered cheating. Like I said, Rip actually recommends that method for beginners in his book. I started doing it and my presses improved quite a bit. I started putting 5lbs a week or so on my Press. I went from about 125lbs x 5 to 145 x 5 over a period of about 2 or 3 months.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
Tyler Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar Cook View Post
*Wince*

I'm going to pretend I didn't just spend a term on Newtonian mechanics...

I'll just say that that's completely different from the point you were trying to make. It does seem similar, though - I'll give you that.
Let us just pretend it was in a vacuum... lol... I was rambling. Blame it on Heineken.

ugh...Newtonian mechanics, that sounds about as fun as hitting myself in the face with a hammer.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
Anthony,

So once I unrack that weight, place my feet and press. I gather the more time I stand hold the weight the worse off the lift could be.
Essentially yes. Big breath in, unrack / position, press. You want the unrack and foot position to happen very quickly - but smoothly - so that you immediately have a solid base to press from.

It's tricky and takes a lot of practise to get right. Some people try too fast and end up hitting the j-hooks on the way out, some people are fast and smooth but forget to lock the knees before the press, some people are fast, smooth, but don't stay tight so the elbows drop behind the bar and then they have to fight to reposition before the press ... countless other mishaps.

We recommend doing it from your first set all the way up to your heaviest set so you get used to the movement.