CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #11
Jason Scheffler
Member Jason Scheffler is offline
 
Jason Scheffler's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton  NB
Posts: 579
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Johnson View Post
No matter how hard you're capable of pushing yourself, your intensity will still jump through the roof when you have 5 people all yelling at you to "Pick up the weight! Pick up the weight!" everytime you take more than a second to suck in some oxygen.
The difference you'll see in a month at an affiliate will amaze you.
That and having one or more trainers watching you will amaze you.

You may think you're doing a lift correctly with full ROM, and I'm not saying you or anyone isn't, but it's amazing what they can catch and how quickly you will improve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Randy Tarasevich
Affiliate Randy Tarasevich is offline
 
Randy Tarasevich's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norwich  CT
Posts: 1,632
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rieber View Post
Yes, I've been training CrossFit alone for 3 years now and I know that my progress is slower than if I was training at an affiliate. Skills take longer to learn and it's taken me months and sometime years to recognize form faults.
On the flip side, I love working out in my garage. I can tailor my workout to exactly what I am looking for instead of doing the group WOD. This is big for me right now because I am focusing on strength gains and actively minimizing metcons. All the affiliates around me love metcon so there is a conflict of interest there. Between Rip's books and the deluge of information on the web, I can learn any skill well enough.
Affiliates are an amazing resource but I just won't give up the freedom of running my own workouts.
You would fit in great at my facility.
__________________
www.sectcrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Joe Cavazos
Affiliate Joe Cavazos is offline
 
Joe Cavazos's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston  Texas
Posts: 775
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Welp, I'll go ahead and make a bold statement:

With regards to training (ignoring community-related and other benefits like "it's more fun"), affiliates are good for three things: equipment, training/form knowledge, and competition.

If you have the equipment, the knowledge (or access to the knowledge, such as the message board + digital coaching), and the ability to self-motivate, then training at an affiliate can only slow your progress. And all are very attainable: the $150/month you save from not going to an affiliate can afford a very well-equipped home gym (or even just buying some missing pieces for your local open gym, if the management is down with the struggle), and the message board in conjunction with Digital Coaching and Steven Low can provide the knowledge and feedback you need. The ability to self-motivate is a little trickier -- you either have it or you don't -- but if you're doing CF with the aim of increasing GPP (as opposed to some affiliate-bunnies who are looking for more mainstream goals such as losing weight or getting "toned") then you probably already have it.

When you're working out on your own (or with a buddy), you get to do what you want. You get to do what's best for you. This includes your main workout plus any additional strength/skill work. And, assuming you know what you're doing (see "knowledge" above), this can only be a plus. Even if you can convince a coach at an affiliate to stick around for an hour after the group WOD to critique your Snatch, well, that's only one time -- do you think he'll stay an hour after closing time every day? -- and you're still not getting something you wouldn't have while training on your own. (Well, that's not entirely true. Having a coach present gives you instant feedback which is more valuable than after-the-facts from Digital Coaching, but it's probably not important enough to justify taking the hits in other areas)

This post is probably going to inspire a few replies, one or two of them hostile. So I'm just gonna sit, watch, and not reply. I've incited and carried on arguments more times than I'd have liked and I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another "The People vs. Joe Cavazos" adventure. Take your shots.
__________________
My WFS Log || Stats I'm least proud of: Max Muscle-ups: 1 | Max Push-ups: 38 | Max HSPU: 9 | 19" Vertical Leap | Max L-sit: 5 sec.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Travis Rieber
Member Travis Rieber is offline
 
Travis Rieber's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 200
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
You would fit in great at my facility.
Now I find out! I lived in Mystic CT from 2004 through 2007. My wife is from RI so next time we're visiting I'll have to stop by.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Even if you can convince a coach at an affiliate to stick around for an hour after the group WOD to critique your Snatch, well, that's only one time -- do you think he'll stay an hour after closing time every day? -- and you're still not getting something you wouldn't have while training on your own. (Well, that's not entirely true. Having a coach present gives you instant feedback which is more valuable than after-the-facts from Digital Coaching, but it's probably not important enough to justify taking the hits in other areas)
He'll stay if you pay him. Or if your schedule is flexible you can pick the affiliate's least attended class for personal attention at group rates. Granted not everyone can afford an hour a day of personal training time. But an hour a week? An hour a month? At some point it's a matter of juggling priorities. IMO, anyone who really believes after the fact digital coaching is equivalent to real time in-person coaching needs to find a better in-person coach.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
Marcus Allen
Member Marcus Allen is offline
 
Marcus Allen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grants Pass  OR
Posts: 1,675
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Johnson View Post
No matter how hard you're capable of pushing yourself, your intensity will still jump through the roof when you have 5 people all yelling at you to "Pick up the weight! Pick up the weight!" everytime you take more than a second to suck in some oxygen.
The difference you'll see in a month at an affiliate will amaze you.
+1 Here. I try to push myself as hard as I can at the Y, and its hard. But on the occasions I go to the local affiliate, I am amazed at how much harder I go. Its the competition, the yelling, the less than shiny gym, the chalk...

the fact that when you're lying there, gasping, sweating, vowing not to puke, somebody comes over, gives you a hand and says "nice job" and not "are you OK?"

hopefully soon the affiliate will be my regular gym!
__________________
My Log, CFKids Certified
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #17
Wade Smith
Member Wade Smith is offline
 
Wade Smith's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Savannah  GA
Posts: 1,269
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Welp, I'll go ahead and make a bold statement:

With regards to training (ignoring community-related and other benefits like "it's more fun"), affiliates are good for three things: equipment, training/form knowledge, and competition.

If you have the equipment, the knowledge (or access to the knowledge, such as the message board + digital coaching), and the ability to self-motivate, then training at an affiliate can only slow your progress. And all are very attainable: the $150/month you save from not going to an affiliate can afford a very well-equipped home gym (or even just buying some missing pieces for your local open gym, if the management is down with the struggle), and the message board in conjunction with Digital Coaching and Steven Low can provide the knowledge and feedback you need. The ability to self-motivate is a little trickier -- you either have it or you don't -- but if you're doing CF with the aim of increasing GPP (as opposed to some affiliate-bunnies who are looking for more mainstream goals such as losing weight or getting "toned") then you probably already have it.

When you're working out on your own (or with a buddy), you get to do what you want. You get to do what's best for you. This includes your main workout plus any additional strength/skill work. And, assuming you know what you're doing (see "knowledge" above), this can only be a plus. Even if you can convince a coach at an affiliate to stick around for an hour after the group WOD to critique your Snatch, well, that's only one time -- do you think he'll stay an hour after closing time every day? -- and you're still not getting something you wouldn't have while training on your own. (Well, that's not entirely true. Having a coach present gives you instant feedback which is more valuable than after-the-facts from Digital Coaching, but it's probably not important enough to justify taking the hits in other areas)

This post is probably going to inspire a few replies, one or two of them hostile. So I'm just gonna sit, watch, and not reply. I've incited and carried on arguments more times than I'd have liked and I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another "The People vs. Joe Cavazos" adventure. Take your shots.
Excellent points. Probably depends on affiliate.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New affiliate... Dan Beirne Community 4 06-05-2008 03:02 PM
the joy of murph Jacob Gallaway Workout of the Day 10 05-02-2008 09:19 AM
Joy Beth and Joseph's workout log Joy Beth Moser Workout Logs 6 03-22-2007 11:28 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:59 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.