CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #11
Jason Scheffler

Profile:
Re: The joy of CF without an affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Johnson View Post
No matter how hard you're capable of pushing yourself, your intensity will still jump through the roof when you have 5 people all yelling at you to "Pick up the weight! Pick up the weight!" everytime you take more than a second to suck in some oxygen.
The difference you'll see in a month at an affiliate will amaze you.
That and having one or more trainers watching you will amaze you.

You may think you're doing a lift correctly with full ROM, and I'm not saying you or anyone isn't, but it's amazing what they can catch and how quickly you will improve.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rieber View Post
Yes, I've been training CrossFit alone for 3 years now and I know that my progress is slower than if I was training at an affiliate. Skills take longer to learn and it's taken me months and sometime years to recognize form faults.
On the flip side, I love working out in my garage. I can tailor my workout to exactly what I am looking for instead of doing the group WOD. This is big for me right now because I am focusing on strength gains and actively minimizing metcons. All the affiliates around me love metcon so there is a conflict of interest there. Between Rip's books and the deluge of information on the web, I can learn any skill well enough.
Affiliates are an amazing resource but I just won't give up the freedom of running my own workouts.
You would fit in great at my facility.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Welp, I'll go ahead and make a bold statement:

With regards to training (ignoring community-related and other benefits like "it's more fun"), affiliates are good for three things: equipment, training/form knowledge, and competition.

If you have the equipment, the knowledge (or access to the knowledge, such as the message board + digital coaching), and the ability to self-motivate, then training at an affiliate can only slow your progress. And all are very attainable: the $150/month you save from not going to an affiliate can afford a very well-equipped home gym (or even just buying some missing pieces for your local open gym, if the management is down with the struggle), and the message board in conjunction with Digital Coaching and Steven Low can provide the knowledge and feedback you need. The ability to self-motivate is a little trickier -- you either have it or you don't -- but if you're doing CF with the aim of increasing GPP (as opposed to some affiliate-bunnies who are looking for more mainstream goals such as losing weight or getting "toned") then you probably already have it.

When you're working out on your own (or with a buddy), you get to do what you want. You get to do what's best for you. This includes your main workout plus any additional strength/skill work. And, assuming you know what you're doing (see "knowledge" above), this can only be a plus. Even if you can convince a coach at an affiliate to stick around for an hour after the group WOD to critique your Snatch, well, that's only one time -- do you think he'll stay an hour after closing time every day? -- and you're still not getting something you wouldn't have while training on your own. (Well, that's not entirely true. Having a coach present gives you instant feedback which is more valuable than after-the-facts from Digital Coaching, but it's probably not important enough to justify taking the hits in other areas)

This post is probably going to inspire a few replies, one or two of them hostile. So I'm just gonna sit, watch, and not reply. I've incited and carried on arguments more times than I'd have liked and I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another "The People vs. Joe Cavazos" adventure. Take your shots.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Travis Rieber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
You would fit in great at my facility.
Now I find out! I lived in Mystic CT from 2004 through 2007. My wife is from RI so next time we're visiting I'll have to stop by.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Even if you can convince a coach at an affiliate to stick around for an hour after the group WOD to critique your Snatch, well, that's only one time -- do you think he'll stay an hour after closing time every day? -- and you're still not getting something you wouldn't have while training on your own. (Well, that's not entirely true. Having a coach present gives you instant feedback which is more valuable than after-the-facts from Digital Coaching, but it's probably not important enough to justify taking the hits in other areas)
He'll stay if you pay him. Or if your schedule is flexible you can pick the affiliate's least attended class for personal attention at group rates. Granted not everyone can afford an hour a day of personal training time. But an hour a week? An hour a month? At some point it's a matter of juggling priorities. IMO, anyone who really believes after the fact digital coaching is equivalent to real time in-person coaching needs to find a better in-person coach.

Katherine
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Johnson View Post
No matter how hard you're capable of pushing yourself, your intensity will still jump through the roof when you have 5 people all yelling at you to "Pick up the weight! Pick up the weight!" everytime you take more than a second to suck in some oxygen.
The difference you'll see in a month at an affiliate will amaze you.
+1 Here. I try to push myself as hard as I can at the Y, and its hard. But on the occasions I go to the local affiliate, I am amazed at how much harder I go. Its the competition, the yelling, the less than shiny gym, the chalk...

the fact that when you're lying there, gasping, sweating, vowing not to puke, somebody comes over, gives you a hand and says "nice job" and not "are you OK?"

hopefully soon the affiliate will be my regular gym!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #17
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Welp, I'll go ahead and make a bold statement:

With regards to training (ignoring community-related and other benefits like "it's more fun"), affiliates are good for three things: equipment, training/form knowledge, and competition.

If you have the equipment, the knowledge (or access to the knowledge, such as the message board + digital coaching), and the ability to self-motivate, then training at an affiliate can only slow your progress. And all are very attainable: the $150/month you save from not going to an affiliate can afford a very well-equipped home gym (or even just buying some missing pieces for your local open gym, if the management is down with the struggle), and the message board in conjunction with Digital Coaching and Steven Low can provide the knowledge and feedback you need. The ability to self-motivate is a little trickier -- you either have it or you don't -- but if you're doing CF with the aim of increasing GPP (as opposed to some affiliate-bunnies who are looking for more mainstream goals such as losing weight or getting "toned") then you probably already have it.

When you're working out on your own (or with a buddy), you get to do what you want. You get to do what's best for you. This includes your main workout plus any additional strength/skill work. And, assuming you know what you're doing (see "knowledge" above), this can only be a plus. Even if you can convince a coach at an affiliate to stick around for an hour after the group WOD to critique your Snatch, well, that's only one time -- do you think he'll stay an hour after closing time every day? -- and you're still not getting something you wouldn't have while training on your own. (Well, that's not entirely true. Having a coach present gives you instant feedback which is more valuable than after-the-facts from Digital Coaching, but it's probably not important enough to justify taking the hits in other areas)

This post is probably going to inspire a few replies, one or two of them hostile. So I'm just gonna sit, watch, and not reply. I've incited and carried on arguments more times than I'd have liked and I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another "The People vs. Joe Cavazos" adventure. Take your shots.
Excellent points. Probably depends on affiliate.