CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Ben Allen

Profile:
Non-CrossFit Gym Doing Crossfit workouts

Is it legal for a non-affiliate gym with no crossfit certified trainers to advertise the fact that they do Crossfit?

They have not used the name Crossfit in thier Gym name but it clearly states on the website that they use Crossfit methodology.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Non-CrossFit Gym Doing Crossfit workouts

That is not legal. Even if the trainer is CF certified, without an affiliation they cannot market that they do CrossFit.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

From the FAQ:

10.18. If I do not want to affiliate but I am a certified CrossFit trainer, how can I use the name legally?
You can call yourself a CrossFit-certified trainer.
You can state that you are "CrossFit-certified" on your website and business cards.
You cannot use the CrossFit name, slogans, art work, photos, or content from the CrossFit Journal in any other business or promotional way unless you affiliate.
Only affiliation gives you the legal right to use the CrossFit name for business and/or promotional purposes.

But you said these guys aren't certified, so they can't do any of the above stuff. Somewhere on the mainsite there's a point of contact to report illegal uses of the name.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Michael McMahon

Profile:

Is claiming you "do" Crossfit the same as stating that your methodology is derived from Crossfit? You stated both in your initial post and I see the two as very different. Legally does anyone know if they would be the same or is it the difference between saying you desgned a Ford as opposed to saying you designed a car inspired by a Ford?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

When in doubt, have these guys check it out: iptheft@crossfit.com.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
John Lowry

Profile:

I'm also interested in this as well. Please let us know what you find out Ben!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

I know this thread dates back several months, but has anyone got insight on this? I am a CL-1 trainer, I work as a personal trainer and it is very hard to not state what I am instructing is crossfit. When I introduce a client to my workout style I state the fundamentals that I believe produce results. Which is the Crossfit methodology that I learned and practice. The only mention of Crossfit at my gym was in a newsletter stating I am a CL-1 trainer. If there is any other way to express I teach Crossfit I would like to know. If anyone else is in the same situation I would like to know how you do this at a non-affilliate/regular gym?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Dan Graziano

Profile:

at a gym i used to work at they did a sign at the gym with "x-fit". they showed the trainers face and put CF certified and other certs listed. easy loopholes to not get anyone ****ed at you.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Dan:

Xfit will most certainly get someone ****ed at you. Namely, me. It's a patent violation of the Lanham Act, which protects trademark holders from people using their mark OR anything "confusingly similar". There are not "always loopholes". I recommend people use this simple test: ask themselves "am I trying to advertise that I do CrossFit so that I can get clients in the door?" If the answer is even for a moment "well...yeah...kinda..." then don't do it. Either affiliate or take the chances that eventually we're going to catch you and then you're on the poo-poo list with the lawyers (and probably HQ and the community, as well.) No one likes a thief.

Going to a Level I entitles you to the knowledge that you gained in training people. It does not entitle one to use of the trademark. Think of it like any course - if you took a course in continuing education and as part of the course you got a textbook, you wouldn't think for a moment that having taken the course entitled you to copy the book and then re-sell it for a profit (that's copyright infringement - a cousin of trademark infringement). The same applies to taking the Level I certificate course. You can put it on a resume or a bio or business card - like any other qualification. But you can't use the trademark in order to advertise and turn a buck - that right is reserved for licensees - i.e. affiliates.

I hope that's clear enough for everyone.
Dale
Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Dan Graziano

Profile:

It isn't me so I can careless. I'm avoiding the headache with all these details and loopholes and getting around rules/laws. I'm just waiting to get affiliated and not stress about anything like that period.

Checkout Mountainside Fitness in Scottsdale, AZ. They're pricks and do that. Walk in and ask about "X-Fit." They will tell you all about it lol. That's why I left there, half assed wannabe CF programs. I think its insulting personally as a CF certified trainer with what they were trying to do.