CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
Sabine Knedlik

Profile:  
Hi All,
I am re-posting this message that was previously in the "starting" topic. It probably fits better here:
I just found out about CrossFit a week ago and am really excited to follow the program. I am especially exited about the gymnastics part ( I was really bad at this in school). The website and this message board is a great resource! I have been doing weights for over 2 years now and when I tried a simple, unassisted pull-up today I couldn't even manage one. I'll have to work on that.
I am a bit confused about this Zone Diet everyone is talking about. I am on a 40-30-30 diet and eat about 2,200 calories a day. I would say that I eat pretty healthy foods already since my husband is gluten intolerant and we have to make our own meals all the time - man, do I miss that pizza. I am 5'8, 140 lb. and last time my body fat was measured in the gym it was 18%. I had my Resting Metabolic Rate measured 4 times last year and it was always above 1,700. How can I be able to not just fall over on a 1,300 or less calorie diet with exercising 6 days a week? I am just a little skeptic and was looking for some feedback on how others are coping with this decrease in calories.
Thanks,
Old 04-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Don't just count up the calories in the blocks, if that's what you're doing. The Zone has a lot of "hidden calories" if you only add up the caloric value of the blocks.

Try searching the board for "hidden calories zone." Turns up this thread, for example:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/6627.html

As Larry L. has said:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messa...html#POST28660
"I would recommend following the Zone diet too the letter. Protein needs a lot more energy to digest than simple carbs and a calorie is not a calorie. Do not count calories. Do not make weight or body fat goals. Make action goals:

1. By friday I will empty all junk food from my kitchen.

2. I will cook and refridge all of my lean protein on Sunday's

3. I will eat 5 zone meals a day, every day.

4. I will complete the WOD every day.

etc.

Focus on the proper actions and results will follow."

Lots of good advice in the board archives.

Have fun,
Rene'
Old 04-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
Sabine Knedlik

Profile:  
Thanks Rene,
I went through the archives and got a lot out of it. I guess I am just gonna try it and see how I fell on the Zone Diet. Just by watching my carb intake for the last week I already noticed that my cravings for bread has decreased. And the portions on some of the Zone Diet recipes are huge.
Thanks for the help again.
Sabine