CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Mike Quinones

Profile:
Outlaw way or Crossfit oly cert

I'm wanting to do an Olympic lifting course/camp/cert and I'm between the Outlaw lifting camp @ Texas Outlaw or the regular Crossfit version. Has anyone done both. Otherwise any feedback on either of these would be helpful. How was the instruction, how was the material, how was the pace, etc.

Much appreciated.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
Re: Outlaw way or Crossfit oly cert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Quinones View Post
I'm wanting to do an Olympic lifting course/camp/cert and I'm between the Outlaw lifting camp @ Texas Outlaw or the regular Crossfit version. Has anyone done both. Otherwise any feedback on either of these would be helpful. How was the instruction, how was the material, how was the pace, etc.

Much appreciated.

I was at Rudy's camp at his gym last Feb. We are hosting one of his camps at the end of March 2013, and running our own weightlifting seminar this coming January.
I've also taken the Attitude Nation Cert with Jon North, and Darby Olympic Weightlifting Cert.

Depends on what you're looking for. Certifications a great to add to the resume, but sometimes you'll learn more from different people.
Spencer Arnold at Texas Outlaw is great and I'd recommend him 100%. The regular Outlaw Camps do have a focus on lifting, but it's a lot of CF too.
I haven't been to the CrossFit Weightlifting cert.....but if they are still teaching scarecrow arms and pull pull pull with a PVC vs. catapult style I know what my answer would be

My 0.02.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I coached at this season's first Outlaw Training Camp at Sua Sponte in Raleigh, and I just attended a USAW Level 1 a couple weekends ago.

They really are totally different animals.

If you want to learn how to be a competitive CFer - that is what the Outlaw training camp is for.

If you want to learn how to get better at weightlifting and learn how to be a better weightlifting coach, that is what the USAW cert is for.

I've not attended the CF weightlifting cert - but if it is Coach B, then I would guess it is a solid cert.

PS: Spencer Arnold is a great coach, and his portion of the Outlaw training camp is awesome.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

Not sure if you knew of this, but USAW is having a class in Thornton in March.

WFS
http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Mike Quinones

Profile:

So the Outlaw Oly camp I was thinking about is in fact with Spencer Arnold, but isn't the same as the regular Outlaw camp it seems. I'm thinking it may be more lifting centric? That's what I'm looking for. Here's the link, although I just found out the January session is sold out.

http://outlawtexas.com/training-camps/

Jay, your comment about scarecrow vs. catapult style sent me on an hours long research expedition. I'd like to learn what the best lifters are doing, and hopefully incorporate some of that into my lifts, and learn to cue others with those techniques in mind. I wonder where Coach B falls on all this. Which style do USAW coaches teach? I suspect it depends on the individual.

Steven, no I didn't realize a USAW session was around the bend in my area. So at this point it's between the USAW camp or the CF oly cert.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Ahh -
So that appears to be one that is not done by Rudy, just by Spencer focusing on the Olympic lifts.
You should learn a lot from it. He's a good coach.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Russell Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Quinones View Post

Much appreciated.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your question. Here's some information about the staff for the CrossFit Olympic Lifting Trainer Course.
  • Casey Burgener: qualified for 2008 Olympics, 5-time World Team member, 3-time Junior World Team member.
  • Fred Lowe: 3-Time U.S. Olympian - Weightlifting. Lightest U.S. Lifter to Clean and Jerk over 400 lbs. Coach of 30+ Crossfit Olympic Lifting Trainer courses
  • Josh Everett: CrossFit L1 seminar staff, CSCS, USAW, NCAA Division 1 Strength & Conditioning Coach 12 years, Military strength & conditioning coach 3 years, US national championships competitor 3x. CrossFit Games competitor 3x including two podium finishes, Head Coach CrossFit Team USA in the 2012 CrossFit Invitational, presented by Reebok.
  • Jason Salyer: Head Strength and Conditioning Coach at UC Riverside, 9 years of Olympic Weightlifting coaching experience.
  • Beau Burgener: Over 20 years of Olympic weightlifting experience, 2001 69kg school-age National champion in Olympic weightifting. His first coaching gig for the CrossFit Olympic lifting course was in 2006.
  • Natalie Burgener: 2008 Olympian. 4-time World team member. American record holder.
  • Jim Schmitz: United States Olympic Team Weightlifting Coach in 1980, 1988, & 1992.
  • CJ Stockel: international USAW coach, head coach at Flowery Branch High School, head coach Team Georgia Weightlifting, collegiate world team coach, Pan American jr coach.
  • JP Bolwahnn: 12 year Navy SEAL, CrossFit Olympic Weightlifting Coach, USAW, College Strength And Conditioning Coach, Division 1 Football (FCS) 2010-12, IRB Rugby 7s 2009 (Mexico)
  • John Belton: from Dublin, Ireland: 12 years in the fitness industry. NCEF level 2, REPs accredited. Strength and conditioning coach in Crossfit North Dublin, Coach on CrossFit Weightlifitng course for 2 and a half years. Diploma in Neruomuscular therapy
  • Sage Burgener: school-age USAW national champion, tier one coach CrossFit Olympic Lifting Trainer course, 2011 Reebok CrossFit Games Affiliate Cup competitor with CrossFit Invictus. Olympic lifting coach at CrossFit Invictus 2010-2011.
  • Erin Okonek: World team member USAW, 2005. Tier One coach, CrossFit Olympic Lifting Trainer Course. Several-time national competitor 69-kg class, USA weightlifting.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
I haven't been to the CrossFit Weightlifting cert.....but if they are still teaching scarecrow arms and pull pull pull with a PVC vs. catapult style I know what my answer would be

My 0.02.
As of Winter 2011 they were. We are reteaching everyone at my box to hip contact. It is hard to relearn it all.

<<witness the jump and shrug to the left lol.

Sean curious how USAW coaches it?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
As of Winter 2011 they were. We are reteaching everyone at my box to hip contact. It is hard to relearn it all.

<<witness the jump and shrug to the left lol.

Sean curious how USAW coaches it?
Hey Tricia, the USAW teaches it from the top down. First move taught for the clean is actually the front squat. From there, the basic progressions of the Clean are taught from the hang, as follows:

Quote:
Shoulder width grip
Inflate chest
Set back
Unlock knees
Moving from the hip only, lower the barbell to mid-thigh position
The lifter then extends the body upward in a violent motion
The shoulders shrug, the arms are straight and the weight shifts from the heels to the ball of the feet
After the lifter finishes the pull, she pulls herself under the bar and catches it in the receiving position
Old 12-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Mike Quinones

Profile:

I would like to know as well how USAW (and Crossfit oly) teach the snatch, specifically addressing the techniques Jay and Tricia have mentioned (i.e. jump and shrug, catapult, hip contact, etc).