CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Russell Greene

Profile:
Addressing Part of the Anthos Video

Well, I guess we now know what the Wall Street PR consultants told Bryan Kelly and Lauren to do. Many of you have seen the video that Lauren and Bryan mass-emailed to CrossFit affiliates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdw_G...ature=youtu.be.

Lauren introduces herself by saying: "I am Lauren Glassman. I'm co-founder, board member, and 50% shareholder of CrossFit, Inc. Those who do know me, know me as equal partner to Greg Glassman in all things that have brought CrossFit to where it is today."

Similarly, she claimed this in a previous post: "Greg and I created CrossFit from its infancy." Source: https://www.facebook.com/lglassman1/...50960566381301.

Did Lauren truly "co-found" CrossFit, or create it from "its infancy"? Her previous statements on CrossFit Radio present a different picture:

"At Gold's Gym in 1995. I was a fat girl trying to get in shape, struggling along, and uh, he (Greg) came up to Santa Cruz to bring CrossFit to the Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department. And uh, I don't know, we just uh... The little buzz around the gym was "CrossFit, CrossFit, CrossFit" and I actually started working with one of his trainers and started doing the Zone...

And uh, the trainer Oman Morales, I actually just talked to the other day, it's kind of funny, kind of flaked on me, and I went up to Greg and I was like, you know "he still owes me for training." Greg trained me and kicked my butt and I got it. And it was like every light came on. And I was like, this is what fitness is. I have never felt this way before."

Source (begins at 54:06): http://library.crossfit.com/free/aud...io6-081026.mp3

With regards to Lauren's claim to be "equal partner to Greg Glassman in all things that have brought CrossFit to where it is today", Lauren stepped away from her role in CrossFit Inc. over two and half years ago. CrossFit grew the most when Lauren was not involved.

There's not enough space here to address of all of Bryan Kelly's misinformation, so that will have to wait.

(All links are w/f safe).
Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Addressing Part of the Anthos Video

Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Michael Henry

Profile:

Legally, can this video be used against them if they are lying? Do they know that? Would a VC that handles millions of dollars know that?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Russell,

First of all, why hasn't Ms. Pitts censored your post? It includes a link to the "opposition's propaganda" which apparently merits deleting one's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Pitts View Post
CrossFit has decided not to provide a platform to the opposition. They obviously have many avenues to promote their position, but this isn't going to be one of them. Sadly, it's a war, and facilitating the opposition's propaganda machine is not a part of the defense strategy.
Secondly, of ALL the things that were said in the video, you have decided to address Lauren's claims to have helped found Crossfit and to be co-owner of Crossfit? Are you trying to settle, on a message board, an issue that can only be settled in court? Are you trying to convince the internet that Lauren didn't help found Crossfit? Even if Lauren actually had nothing to do founding Crossfit, anyone with access to the internet can find tons of references, by Crossfit Inc, to Lauren as a "Co-founder". Here are 4 quick ones (which took me approximately 30 seconds on Google to find):

1. http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...sFit091016.pdf (page 2) (SFW)
2. http://journal.crossfit.com/2007/11/...rt-2-optim.tpl --see last paragraph
3. On the Crossfit Radio episode you posted, the hosts closed by saying "what an absolutely awesome experience to be able to talk to one of the founders of something that's this big", referring to Crossfit.
4. http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/06/...ing-my-way.tpl (00:10 sec) (SFW)

If you include statements by HQ staff on their own affiliate or personal blogs calling Lauren a Co-founder, the number goes up nearly exponentially.

Come on, man. Don't we have bigger fish to fry?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Keith Homfeldt

Profile:

The more I see this issue addressed via an internet message board, the more I think it wouldn't be horrible for CrossFit to have some stakeholders with a more well versed professional background. I'm sorry, but this is starting to look like amateur hour.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
Lee Hill

Profile:

Um, I have a question. How does Reebok feel about being dragged into a soap opera? I agree with the dudes above, pitching cheap shots down a one way street puts the *** in class.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Doug Lowry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Homfeldt View Post
The more I see this issue addressed via an internet message board, the more I think it wouldn't be horrible for CrossFit to have some stakeholders with a more well versed professional background. I'm sorry, but this is starting to look like amateur hour.
I completely agree. The big concern for HQ that none of the blind followers have caught on to yet is if a professional firm actually got access to the books and implemented financial controls that would severely hinder the lavish lifestyle of Coach, no? It would end the spending of 100% of their cash flow.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
David Alexander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lowry View Post
I completely agree. The big concern for HQ that none of the blind followers have caught on to yet is if a professional firm actually got access to the books and implemented financial controls that would severely hinder the lavish lifestyle of Coach, no? It would end the spending of 100% of their cash flow.
Unless you happen to be the financial adviser of Glassman, than you have no idea what % of CF inc cash he is spending.

If all he care about was his "lavish" lifestyle, than you would let the deal go through.

Last edited by David Alexander : 08-16-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Oh boy... As soon as she said her feelings for CrossFit are as deep as for her own children... Well, that pretty much did it for me... Wow...

You know, just comparing her talking about it to coach, what a difference... Her speech is pre-written and canned. When coach speaks about it he does so easily and from the heart. That speaks volumes to me. I don't need a pre-written speech to express my stance on anything I do, or have done regarding AtLarge Nutrition (my company).

Her claim she is equally responsible... Well, that is just silly. I understand it is legal posturing, but please, why can't anyone in this world be honest, or at least have a proper perspective on things?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lowry View Post
Why would you say something like that? What do you know? Are you stalking coach Glassman?

Why do people speak definitively about things which they are truly ignorant.