CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
New Bicycle Suggestions

Howdy.

So I'm looking to purchase a new bike sometime before the end of the year. It's main purpose will be for recreational use; mostly riding around town. So it would be mostly a road bike, but I'd also like to take it on minor trails. Nothing crazy, just some trails through the woods or something, not any hardcore mountain trails.

The last bike I bought was used from a student at school, and was more or less a pile of crap. I used it for a few months to go to and from school. Now I'd like something that will last a good while, so I'm willing to throw down some coin for one. Some coin, not all my coin.

So what exactly should I be looking for? Types of tires, gears, frame, materials, and what not. I imagine there is some type of "all terrain" bikes out there. Perhaps they would be a good starting place. I know I could do more research on my own, but it'd be a lot easier if I knew what I should be looking for for my purposes. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Dave Hancock

Profile:
Re: New Bicycle Suggestions

If your trails through the woods have large elevation changes you're going to want gearing for it, like a mountain bike. If the trails are more level then you could get by with a mountain bike or a cyclocross (looks more like a road bike but has off road tires, different brakes) style bike. The cross bike will be easier riding on the road but can be used on mild offroad trails.

Many bikes today are made from steel, aluminum, titanium (expensive, light), carbon fiber (expensive, light). Aluminum is probably the most used. From low to high end. Shifting is similar for all makers, but slight differences in how the mechanisms work. Ride different ones and see what you like.

Your best bet is to go to good local bike shops and ask them your questions. Check out different style bikes and ride as many of them as you can.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Joe Bischoff

Profile:

Get a hybrid bike. No question.

Just this morning I commented to my GF that the bike racks at shool were probably 60/30/10 (hybrid/mountain/road), and that we didn't have hybrids when I was in school. (yeah it made me sound old when I said it the first time too.)

Hybrids are basicaly mountain bikes with smoother tires. You can go fast, coast well and good hybrid tires will take moderate off-road abuse. You're probably starting at around $600, new at your local bike shop (which you should definitely visit).

Frame types seem to come down to how much you want to spend. We've got two steel and an aluminum frame at my place. To be fair they are all completely different bikes that all feel differnet; however, no real preference has developed for the aluminum frame specifically.

If you are in a college town, then you should easily be able to find good bikes on CL. Also, just taking your bike into the local shop can get tires, components and a tune up that could make it better than new for less $.

Failing that, making sure your wheels are straight (you tube) and everything is lubed will make your current bike feel much better!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
Howdy.

So I'm looking to purchase a new bike sometime before the end of the year. It's main purpose will be for recreational use; mostly riding around town. So it would be mostly a road bike, but I'd also like to take it on minor trails. Nothing crazy, just some trails through the woods or something, not any hardcore mountain trails.

The last bike I bought was used from a student at school, and was more or less a pile of crap. I used it for a few months to go to and from school. Now I'd like something that will last a good while, so I'm willing to throw down some coin for one. Some coin, not all my coin.

So what exactly should I be looking for? Types of tires, gears, frame, materials, and what not. I imagine there is some type of "all terrain" bikes out there. Perhaps they would be a good starting place. I know I could do more research on my own, but it'd be a lot easier if I knew what I should be looking for for my purposes. Any help would be appreciated.
I have a Giant mountain bike, I've had it for about 5 years. It's held up great, handles trails well. I haven't taken it on any technical or challenging trails, but just some of the local ones. I like it, and I do ride it on the road. The aggressive tires make a lot of noise, and they slow me down, but I just look at it as extra exercise.

This hybrid bike stuff sounds very interesting, I'm definitely curious to hear more about them, and from more people who own them.

Kent
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Personally, instead of a hybrid, I'd get a mtn bike and get smooth tires for road use, which I did.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Thanks all.

I thought about just replacing parts, or building one from the ground up, but the more I though about it, the more it seemed like I shouldn't do it.

There is a bike shop pretty close by, but I thought that I should at least go in with an idea. And after looking up hybrid bikes, they seem like a good fit for me. I suppose the bike shop guys will be able to help me narrow my decision.

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
John Pickron

Profile:

cyclocross bike...one with disc brakes would be even better.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Joe Bischoff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickron View Post
cyclocross bike...one with disc brakes would be even better.
John, it seems to me that cyclocross blends the worst of both bikes: uncomfortable position and slow tires. Disk brakes would be nice though.

Do cyclocross bikes make good daily riders?

Thanks,
Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

All I can say is that I have this bike:
http://owencyclery.com/product/trek-...on-72191-1.htm (WFS)
It is a great general purpose bike even though it's a mountain bike. Super smooth. I used to have a more expensive Specialized, but I like this one better. Don't know if that helps, but it's what I have experience with
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bischoff View Post
John, it seems to me that cyclocross blends the worst of both bikes: uncomfortable position...
Incorrect assumption.

A properly fit road bike will not be uncomfortable. Additionally you have the ability to change hand position (tops, hoods, drops) giving you even more variety.

I am much more comfortable on my road bike than my mountain bike.