CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Ben Norris

Profile:
Gaining Strength

After posting a video of my back sqaut a while back I decided to make some changes to my training. I have since switched over to LBBS as well as changing my diet to almost strict paleo. With the exception of milk. Now I am 18 years old weight about 145 pounds and am 5 foot 9. I was thinking I need to gain some weight but mainly strenght. I currently do 1 strength lift in the morning using 5,3,1 (the 4 lifts are Deadlift, BS, SP and BP) and then a metcon in the afternoon. Which adds up to 8 sessions a week.

I know that switching over to just a strength programme will increase both strength and size but I am training for the army and I do not want to loose work capacity.

What would be your suggestions for me in terms of training? Do i just eat way more Paleo food or should I add something else in terms of diet? Do I do more strength?

My current lifts are:
Deadlift 331 pounds
BS: 225
BP: 185
SP: 125
Squat Clean: 185
Power clean: 175
Old 06-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Gaining Strength

By milk do you mean gomad?

I'd probably do CFFB / CFSB, or just keep doing what you're doing but I'd probably keep the metcons shorter and perhaps heavier.

Is there a height:weight ratio requirement on army entrance?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
Martin Nguyen

Profile:

madcows 5x5.

its low-moderate volume, high intensity. Great intermediate strength program.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Eat every meal like it's a trip to the buffet line. As far as what program to follow my vote would be SS or GSLP.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
SS
Even though he said he needed to maintain his capacity?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

If you are going into the military, don't go crazy on gaining weight until you find out what your max weight can be. It should be around 165-170, but don't quote me on that. What you are doing is fine. Make sure you can run pretty well and you can do pushups and situps.

Bootcamp is 75% mental and 25% physical, unless you are grossly out of shape. LOL.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
Michael Dowling

Profile:

if you're training for the army soon don't even worry about barbell work or strength training IMO, you will lose it all in boot camp anyway. i've seen guys drop 100 lbs in 3 months of marine boot camp, chances are any strength you cram in in the next few months will be gone by the end of boot camp anyway.

just run, condition with the metcons, pull ups, push ups etc... you will never be asked to squat 400 lbs in boot camp nor will the added mass help you through boot camp either, it will be a hindrance, bodyweight movements are much more emphasized. i've carried many guys packs who looked ripped but gassed and couldn't hang on runs and humps.

just my $0.02, when you get to your base and your'e done with training then do a strength program that mixes strength and conditioning.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 06-21-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
if you're training for the army soon don't even worry about barbell work or strength training IMO, you will lose it all in boot camp anyway. i've seen guys drop 100 lbs in 3 months of marine boot camp, chances are any strength you cram in in the next few months will be gone by the end of boot camp anyway.

just run, condition with the metcons, pull ups, push ups etc... you will never be asked to squat 400 lbs in boot camp nor will the added mass help you through boot camp either, it will be a hindrance, bodyweight movements are much more emphasized. i've carried many guys packs who looked ripped but gassed and couldn't hang on runs and humps.

just my $0.02, when you get to your base and your'e done with training then do a strength program that mixes strength and conditioning.
Yup. Dead on.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Even though he said he needed to maintain his capacity?
I read his first paragraph and went straight to his lift numbers and when I woke up from fainting at them I guess I replied and missed that part.

Also it was before I had my morning caffeine so I was on auto-pilot.

I missed the whole army part just now after re-reading it again, it's not what grabs my attention in that post, it's his weight and lift numbers.

So yeah, forget about SS and GSLP.

sorry.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I disagree on the "don't worry about strength for now" argument. More strength on your squat/deadlift/power clean etc. will help you carry a pack longer and faster than your average skinny weak kid who's done nothing but train for the PFT. The fact that you won't be doing any heavy lifting while you're there means that you'd be better off going in strong and just hoping to retain whatever strength level you can. Your conditioning will improve at boot camp, there's no way around that. But in terms of where I'm at by the end, I'd rather lose 100lbs off a 350lb squat than to lose 50lbs off a 250lb squat.

I'm not saying the OP should do SS and quit conditioning, but something like GSLP with all the frequency method pushups, pullups, and burpees and a few conditioning workouts per week would set him up fine. Obviously he doesn't want to go in weighing 200lbs at 5'9", but he could get up in the 170lb range through eating more good food and lifting heavy and still be in good shape.