CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Mike Miner

Profile:
Training The Obese

I have recently started training one of my best friends who is very obese, 430 pounds. I have started him off with very modified crossfit movements and very light WOD's. Thing is Im running out of exercises that I can have him do. This is a short list of the different exercises we are doing
Box Squats, ( No weight )
Step ups ( 12 inches )
Dumbell, or barbell Shoulder presses
Wall assisted pushups
Misc Cardio
Stairs
Im open to any suggestion you guys may have. I know crossfit can, and will change his life. I have him changing his diet, slowly to a zone diet 22-25 blocks. And he is taking fish oil.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Scott Donchak

Profile:
Re: Training The Obese

At that weight, the most important aspect of him getting healthy is going to be his diet.

He would drop subsanstial weight with minimal exercise by simply eating clean with slight calorie deficit. The reason I emphasize this is many who are just beginning working out don't realize that nutrition is probably 70%+ of fitness. Furthermore, eating clean and not over eating tend to be more of an issue than the actual work out for many beginners.

As far as exercises go, you seem to have a pretty good array going.

Possible additions

-Modified wallballs with a higher squat point and lower target could work.
-Bench press for strength (If he's getting bored with cardio)
-HIIT walking/running (This would be optimal for cutting fat, but watch out for joint problems.)
-Rowing (I don't know if a concept II can handle 430 pounds though)
-Swimming (Another A+ obese beginner workout)
-Kettlebell work

He's obviously limited by the number of movements he can do due to his size, but HOW he does can be varied easily.

Things you can change within the WODs you give him include
-weight
-reps
-number of rounds
-AMRAP style
-Tabata style

Realistically, maximizing results will come through the diet reform, which it looks like you're doing. The exercise he does should be low impact but high intensity. I strongly suggest swimming if you can find a pool as this engages the entire body with little to no impact on the joints relative to alternatives such as running. Rowing is good too, except I don't know if the equipment can handle his size.

Has he seen any results yet?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Anything to get obese people moving is good really. Bodyweight exercises like the steps tend to work really well.

AMRAPs tend to be better IF the person has some personal drive and like to do well with their workouts and are committed. These allow them to get high intensity as needed and to self regulate.

Set workouts (aka complete W rounds of X,Y,Z) are better if the clients like to take lots of breaks and dog their workouts. It ensures that they're going to have to complete a good set amount of work.

Fish oil is hugely important

Get rid of zone and go with Paleo instead though.

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-27-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Training for the Fat Guy (WFS)

I'm not a trainer so can't vouch for the program outlined, but it is someone else's thoughts.

Last edited by Wayne Riddle : 09-27-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Like the others have said, if he goes Paleo, regardless of whatever you have him do, he'll lose weight, and pretty fast too while he's so overweight.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Mike Miner

Profile:

Really? Paleo. hmmmm, Im intrigued. What would be a good starter type meal plan for this. Im hearing more and more about paleo but still dont really understand how it works compared to the zone.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miner View Post
Really? Paleo. hmmmm, Im intrigued. What would be a good starter type meal plan for this. Im hearing more and more about paleo but still dont really understand how it works compared to the zone.
Zone is related to regulating the quantity of food you eat, Paleo is related to the type of food you eat in unlimited quantity.
Paleo means you eat whole foods to the tune of Meat, Fruit, Veggies, Nuts and Berries - no dairy, grains, legumes, added sugars, added salts, etc..

Also, someone else around here posted this, its a grrrreat resource for what you are doing specifically, even though it doesn't align 100% with things most of us follow around here its a good learning tool for a trainer.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-beginner.html (WFS)
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Read this, http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-beginner.html I think there are 6 articles in all.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
Jason Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Anything to get obese people moving is good really. Bodyweight exercises like the steps tend to work really well.
THIS.

Just get the dude moving- At the stage he's at, ANYTHING will help, even walking.

Diet is a whole separate issue, and is obviously ridiculously crucial at this stage.

Remember, with this dude, performance is not even something that should enter your mind. This is not a situation with a quick-fix; You're reversing YEARS- perhaps DECADES- of bad habits. It will take a LOT of time and dedication. You're taking BABY steps, and the key is not to push too hard.

Start with the basics- and, when I say basics, I mean BASICS; complex Crossfit movements really don't belong in this scenario- and concentrate on form through planes of movement; If the dude is climbing stairs at a walk, make sure each step is proper. If he's hill-walking, don't let him get sloppy. etc. etc.

In terms of exercises, you could modify the burpee in the simplest manner possible: Lay down, get up; speed is not an issue. Physiologically, it's still taking the body from prone to standing, so it's still taxing- at that weight, it's more than the equivalent of a regular burpee.

Getting the dude mobile again while be more than enough to start the ball rolling; You can play Crossfit coach later; right now, it's all about getting him moving.

Last edited by Jason Ashman : 10-03-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miner View Post
Really? Paleo. hmmmm, Im intrigued. What would be a good starter type meal plan for this.
Robb Wolf's new book The Paleo Solution (WFS) has a 30 day meal plan.