CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Craig Bravman

Profile:
Personal training

I am wanting to get certified in crossfit as I feel it's an incredible fitness system as well as for many other reason.

My question is more for personal trainers on this site. Do any of you train clients in a globo gym using crossfit style workouts? I was a trainer years ago and miss helping people feel great.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Personal training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bravman View Post
Do any of you train clients in a globo gym using crossfit style workouts? I was a trainer years ago and miss helping people feel great.
I'm not a trainer (yet), but I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of trainers train either at a CF box, outside somewhere (a local park), or in their garage. Training CF in a place not set up for CF is logistically very difficult.

- Mark
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I do this exact thing

it's not really that difficult

our gym actually has kettlebells and because of me, we now have parallettes, abmats, an oly platform, bumpers, C2 rowers, boxes, and rings

everything I need

it's foolish to think that CrossFit cannot be taught anywhere besides a CrossFit gym, park, or garage. It can be taught anywhere, that's what makes it awesome!

and before you ask, I don't call it or market it as "CrossFit"
Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

I go to a globo-type to work out, and one of the personal trainers there is CF certified and uses the WODs quite a bit with his clients. Seems to work pretty well.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Jake Richards

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
it's foolish to think that CrossFit cannot be taught anywhere besides a CrossFit gym, park, or garage. It can be taught anywhere, that's what makes it awesome!
I absolutely agree with this comment. I get so sick and tired of the crossfit superiority complex.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Craig, just a word of advice if you decide to go to a Crossfit Level 1 Certification. Read as much as you can on this forum, and in the Crossfit Journal before deciding to go. I have hung around this site for over a year, participated in discussions ranging from Crossfit methodologies to Crossfit Nutrition (of which I may not 100% agree with)... but I hardly had to study for the "test" that they give at the end of the class. There were a few (at least 3 I knew of) personal trainers that had barely known about crossfit for 2 months before they decided to come to the certification... and they failed the test.

I'm not saying that it's a hard test, because I don't think that it is. What I'm saying is, learn more about the culture here and the thinking behind everything.

Good luck though!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Richards View Post
I absolutely agree with this comment. I get so sick and tired of the crossfit superiority complex.
I think people get too riled up over this. I don't think I've ever read on this site that Crossfit "absolutely cannot be done anywhere other than a CF gym or park or garage! oh my god what are you thinking!".
Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Craig Bravman

Profile:

how do u get clinets. i workout in a globo gym doing crossfit and i just get looks
Old 08-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Mike Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bravman View Post
how do u get clinets. i workout in a globo gym doing crossfit and i just get looks
1) Every new member is given a $150 gift card to use towards personal training or group training - this usually starts with an assessment and then leads to either (a) personal training or (b) giving them 2 additional sessions to go over basic exercises, cardio, flexibility, and nutrition

2) Said clients who see results, bring in referrals

3) walking up to people on the floor and comping them workouts or inviting them to my group class

Our globo is a little different in that we actually care about getting each and every member results, even if they don't enlist the help of a trainer
Old 08-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
Craig Bravman

Profile:

I meant of creating a workout program? The people that look at me working out, question what im doing more than embrace it.