CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Andy Grant

Profile:
Post Lower back muscle pain - guidance?

Hi CFer's! I've been experiencing consistent lower back pain when performing various lifts including deadlifts, clean and jerks, etc. Though I have to say deadlifting is definitely a lift that almost always makes the back hurt in the same way most every time. It's muscular (went to a doctor when I first experienced this issue, doing deadlifts, pre-crossfit and they confirmed) and is in the area of my lower back that would be right about where my kidneys are located. I try very hard to make sure I'm using proper technique (the coaches at my CF gym are excellent), I have watched Mark Rippetoes (sp?) vids on the site repeatedly, and even try to keep the weight on the "lighter" end (I weigh about 195# and I try to keep my DL's at 185 - 200#). The doctor recommended strengthening my core, which I now do exercises on my own to help in this area. It's pretty frustrating, to say the least. I've been going to CF for almost three months and I am afraid that I'll never get to really challenge myself in some of the olympic lifts like I would like to. Oh and the pain is annoying . Any insight, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Lower back muscle pain - guidance?

Hi Andy. I've had serious low back pain for a long time, but the deadlifts always seem to make me feel better, so I can't identify with the exercise causing you pain. I can tell you though that using this gadget (WFS) is the best thing I have ever done for myself bar none -- and I have tried A LOT of things. I could write several pages about the things I have tried that have not worked, including seeing physical therapists, foam roller, inversion table, acupuncture, chiropractic, etc. This is no joke. I cannot overstate what a blessing this has been in my life, and that is not hyperbole. I was dubious myself and bought it out of desperation more than anything else. I am glad I did. If you use it daily it will provide relief. Read the Trigger Point Therapy Book (WFS) to get a handle on how it works. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Mike Mallory

Profile:

if you're having back pain when doing cleans, then why on earth are you're 'excellent coaches' having you do them!

excuse my bluntness, but that's just not cool........You shouldn't be doing explosive exercises on damaged tissue. Lighter wieght doesn't make any difference, because with higher joint speeds, higher levels of stress are put into individual joints.

Find a PT who can assess you, they will often be much more knowledgeable in this area. If you're doctor only told you to strengthen your core without a very specific program, then most likely you'll just be going further into dysfunction.

It doesn't sound like anythign serious, but it would definitely be ogod to get it checked out by someone who can assess the bony, ligamentous, and muscular systems in one swoop.

good luck-
Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Jon Thorland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
if you're having back pain when doing cleans, then why on earth are you're 'excellent coaches' having you do them!
It seems that you're assuming the OP told his coaches about his back pain, which is a pretty big jump to make.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post

excuse my bluntness, but that's just not cool........You shouldn't be doing explosive exercises on damaged tissue. Lighter wieght doesn't make any difference, because with higher joint speeds, higher levels of stress are put into individual joints.

Find a PT who can assess you, they will often be much more knowledgeable in this area. If you're doctor only told you to strengthen your core without a very specific program, then most likely you'll just be going further into dysfunction.

It doesn't sound like anythign serious, but it would definitely be ogod to get it checked out by someone who can assess the bony, ligamentous, and muscular systems in one swoop.

good luck-
This.

Let your coaches know.

Find a good PT.