CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

i remember reading somewhere that performing the military press behind the head was bad because of the way the shoulder blades move(?)- causes bad friction or something?
is this true?

i find when pressing behind the head my form stays stronger and its harder to cheat by arching the back. plus it somewhat forces my elbows to always point down (which i've heard is a sign of correct form)?

anyone?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Going behind the neck can cause impingement of the joint, possibly leading to pain, injury, etc. Basically, your humerus is externally rotated, which can cause various soft tissues (esp. rotator cuff) to get "squished" a bit between the humerus and acromion. During movement, this causes rubbing, which can lead to pain and injury. That said, many people do the behind the neck press with no problems.

I would definitely work to improve the press in front of the neck, since that will improve your Olympic movements (push-press, jerks, etc.)--thrusters, too.

One idea: From the rack position, look straight ahead, and concentrate on only moving your head back a little bit to clear the bar, kind of like making a double chin. As soon as the bar is starting to clear your eyes, start pushing your head back between your elbows. You should end up with your arms next to your ears, looking straight ahead--and hopefully with a fairly strong back position.

Hope that helps!

(Message edited by ksu4 on January 28, 2006)
Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Travis Hall

Profile:

yeah! excellent points all around. i'll try that 'double chin' tonight.

cheers,
t.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
One of my rules of thumb concerning movements is whether or not I would ever do that movement outside of the gym. The answer to that question with behind-the-neck-press is "no". It's not a natural movement. If I were going to put a heavy box on a high shelf, I wouldn't turn around and put the box behind my head. I feel the same way about chins and pulldowns behind the head.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Will Marshall

Profile:  
the only time you should do them behind the neck these days is when working on the olympic jerk progression stuff with a broomstick. It helps before doing a set of jerks to first do 5 reps behind the neck pressing, then 5 behind the neck push pressing, then 5 behind the neck jerking.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

will- you mean as a warmup / stretch kinda thing? i'll keep that in mind. i actually hurt/strained my upper middle trap area a coupla days ago doing cleans, so adding more stretching probably isn't such a bad idea...

john- i agree on what you say about the the 'functionality' of a movement. but form is important also. i was experimenting with both and found it harder to cheat on form with behind the neck. seemed to keep me straight. also had a more controlled descent- so i wouldn't bang my head!

but as mentioned there seem to be possible injuries. i had heard the same thing about pulls behind the neck, just wanted to see if this was legit or not.
so in the end i'll stick to doing them in front and (dare i say it) lesson the weight to keep my form healthy...

cheers,
t.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
Will Marshall

Profile:  
Yea I do this in addition to the b warmup before every session.
http://mikesgym.org/gallery/gallery....deo&video_ID=4