CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Paul Siatczynski

Profile:
When we have a workout like todays WOD, with multiple HSPUs, I am amazed to see the number of people that can do these easily. I am 6' 3", 195 and have never been able to do more than 2, and usually struggle to do one HSPU. However, I can do muscle ups fairly easily, and do well with ring dips,so I'm not totally weak. When I try to work on HSPUs, my rotator cuff flares up, I think because for me it's a max effort all the time. I have been trying to do lighter weight military presses with dumbells and barbells to slowly bulid up my overhead strength. My question for all you multiple rep HSPU stars is what percentage of bodyweight can you lift overhead? If I weigh 195, what weight would I have to build up to to make multiple HSPUs feasible? I hope it's not body weight, because that's a long way off.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Michael Pearce

Profile:
What I have found when I first started doing HSPU is that it is not a case of how much can I lift over head. It had to do a lot more with core, back, lat, and shoulder strength. It was a case of having more of the static strength than dynamic power. So I recommend that you just get into a handstand as much as you can to help develop this strength. That is what has done it for me.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Keith Conrad

Profile:

Paul,
I had that exact same question. I can't do one HSPU. I am 5'10" and 185lbs. I have been trying the frog handstand, just holding the handstand position against a wall and feet elevated pushups. I do not have that problem with my rotator cuff. I agree with Michael about the HSPU not being the same as lifting weight over your head.
Doing mutiple HSPU's is one of my long term goals. Good luck with your training.
Keith
Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
If you can do 2 then, I'd recommend grease the grooe, doing 1 rep whenever you can throughout the day. If you want them, you have to give them regular practice.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

At this stage in your training, static handstand holds will by far have the greatest carryover to your handstand pushups. I would recommend that you invest the majority of your handstand training time in static holds.

Also if one floor HSPU is a struggle, you may find that partial comfortable reps combined with static hold training will greatly speed your proficiency with HSPUs.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Old 06-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Totally agree Coach Sommer. I've been practicing static holds against the wall for about a month, not even that regularly and I can now do sets of 4-5 HSPU's at about 3/4 ROM (against the wall, but at least I'm not landing on my head!) Keep practicing and they will come.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Static holds and handstand walk practice got me to be able to do about 12 at almost head to ground. I usually touch a 1-2" pad with my head each rep.

I also did a lot of controlled negatives, especially during WOD involving HSPU. These I always do with my hands about 3" above the ground, and dropping my head below my hands to the ground.

I need to make some parallelettes to practice full depth.

-Oh yeah, I am 6'4" and 190 - 200lbs.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
For the OP:
Are you doing your OH presses seated or standing? IMO, if you're doing them seated you're wasting you time and will not find a good translation from the seated presses to HSPUs.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Paul Siatczynski

Profile:
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I did try the grease the groove approach earlier, but I think I overdid it, because that's when my shoulder flared up, and I had to back way off. More of my overhead press work has been seated, and while I'm getting stronger in this movement, it hasn't carried over to HSPUs, which would go along with Matt's observation. I guess I'll have to go back to static holds and careful negatives, and build from there.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Paul, try going to standing OH presses (with DBs). It will do a better job of strengthening your core (and of course your shoulders as well) in the manner you'll need for HSPUs. And yes, static holds and negatives will also help. You might also try pushups with your feet elevated to an extreme.