CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Alex Z Sabra

Profile:
Certifications and personal training

Searched the forums but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if you can teach or what kind of work you can do having a CF lvl 1 Cert. or the BB training or anything like that?

Im interested in getting into the fitness field and working at a gym or opening up one but I was curious to the kind of certifications you needed. Would i be better of going for a personal training certificate? I think they are worthless so i was interested in seeing if the CF certifications would allow me to do anything like that.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Leslie Powell

Profile:
Re: Certifications and personal training

If you're going to be working at a gym, they probably won't care what you have as long as you have something nationally recognized. I'd guess that a Crossfit Cert may not be as widely accepted as something from NSCA/ACSM (despite the fact that you'll get more out of the Crossfit one).

Best advice is to ask the gym where you're applying what they need. For the most part, the general public (Crossfit Affiliate members excepted) doesn't know or care what you have, if you're talking about working at a major chain gym.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Alex Z Sabra

Profile:

Thanks Leslie
Old 06-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Rahsaan Kimbrow

Profile:

ACE is a good cert as far as getting a J-O-B and insurance.....
Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Alex Z Sabra

Profile:

Thanks Rahsaan
Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I am in the same boat and keep going back and forth about what i am going to do. I know i want to do CF level 1 and at least Basic Barbell and maybe Oly lifting? either way I am not sure if i will affiliate anytime soon and while i know i will learn much more and get more out of the CF certs i cannot advertise them unless i affiliate so it wouldn't do my advertising much good..... So i was considering doing NSCA CSCS cert but its like 300-400 bucks or something (less expensive than CF but i would get nothing out of it other than the initials by my name.... woohoo) and i do not agree with a lot of their teachings but it would be more recognized by the public and help more with getting insurance i think?.... oh decisions decisions

-Robert
Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Mike Prevost

Profile:

The NSCA certs are probably closest to what is espoused here. They are well recognized and will give you the basics. Not sure why some feel like NSCA is at odds with crossfit. NSCA as far as I can tell, does not champion any particluar approach to training. Seems like many NSCA CSCS types have used crossfit type workouts for years. What you will get from NSCA is a basic foundation of knowledge. Sure, NSCA is heavy on specific physical preperation, rather than general physical preperation, but that is because of the heavy emphasis on specific competitive sports. No reason you could not use what you learn from NSCA materials and apply it to crossfit. Just my $.02.

Mike
Old 06-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Joel Chapman

Profile:

Quote:
i was considering doing NSCA CSCS cert but its like 300-400 bucks or something (less expensive than CF but i would get nothing out of it other than the initials by my name.... woohoo) and i do not agree with a lot of their teachings
I'm curious as to how you know you will get nothing out of a CSCS certification. Could you expand on this? Also, if you do not agree with a lot of the NSCA's teachings, then you don't agree with basic exercise science and human physiology in general.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

The NSCA espouses that which is backed by research and science. They change their recommendations, as research changes. What part of the NSCA do you disagree with?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

To be specific when taking the practice test for the CSCS there were several disturbing questions that i got wrong. One asking which exercise you should never ever do a 1RM on and it ended up being the shoulder press. If you are supposed to never do a 1RM then how can you make an effective program for any athlete that advances past the novice stage. Also they still recommend exhaling on the way up on squats and bench and such which reduces pressure in the thoracic cavity and increases risk of back injuries. The final straw is the fact that squatting bellow parallel is a big no no in the NSCA as it supposedly puts excess strain on your meniscus in your knee....

All these things and more, and the fact that I messaged Mark Rippetoe who has been a NSCA CSCS since its conception in 1985 and asked him about these discrepancies with Crossfit philosophy and he said that the NSCA has gone to hell and that it is run by a bunch of PTs with little field experience and that he is not renewing his cert this year.

Basically if i only did the CSCS cert i am sure i would learn some new stuff even though i may disagree with a chunk of it too, but from what i have read the CF level 1 cert will teach me most of what i need to know and most if not all the useful stuff i would get from the CSCS. so doing them both the CSCS would have little extra beneficial info and some of it would contradict what i have already learned and believe. That is why i said that it would be of little benefit other than the fact that it is more publicly recognized... but i am not perfect and perhaps this is not the case, thats why i posted on this thread, because i was interested in seeing what others had to say about this and if their expereinces confirmed or rejected what i had thought about the different certs and of what benefit they were. So if your life experiences are different please share so i can make a more informed decision

Thank you, and i apologize if i offended anyone by saying cscs may be worthless, i simply meant that in terms of my circumstances and for me specifically not for everyone in general

-Robert