CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Steve Bratby

Profile:
New to Crossfit - WOW

Hi everyone, completely new to Crossfit. Decided to give it a go after a mate of mine smashed me with a Tabata workout he saw on here a while back.
Being in the forces I thought I should be right to just straight into scaled down WOD's. I just finished "Quater Gone Bad". I also didn't have a clock to time my work periods, just the rest periods, so I went for 8 reps in each set. Next time I'll have a watch with countdown on me, so I'll be able to time it properly.

CF Warmup (Minus pull-ups)
25kg (55lb) Thrusters 8 8 8 8 8
Pull-ups (no weight) 8 8 8 8(4, 2, 2) 8(3,1,1,1,1,1)
Burpee 8 8 8 8 8

I probably could have gone up to 30 or 35kg on the Thrusters, but I've never done much gym work (and I have a PT test next week so I need to train most of this week)

Does anyone see any problems with what I did, for the pull-ups where I struggled I didn't do jump pull-ups, I just took little breaks(3 deep breaths)

My quads are going to be sore tomorrow

Also does anyone have some really basic recipes, I'm the worlds worst cook but would like to start eating healthier??

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
chris adams

Profile:
Re: New to Crossfit - WOW

Hi Steve<

I'm no expert. I have six months solid crossfit time. IMHO your workout looks good!

I've found one of the best watches for xfit is just a basic Timex ironman. It has mulitiple interval timers, is light and durable, and relatively cheap (35 bucks average).

There are plenty of great recipe resources online. If you're interested in the zone you can go to zonediet.com as well as drsears.com.

for general recipes I like allrecipes.com.

good luck on your test!

hope this helps

chris
Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: New to Crossfit - WOW

Research the Zone diet, as mentioned. It's a very good complement to CrossFit, along with healthy food choices.

You can go to the Zone diet site, but when all is said and done, Issue #21 of the CrossFit Journal (it's free) is probably all you need to get started on eating right.

Your scaling looks ok to me, although I'm not really familiar with your lifting or anything like that. If you check out the results posted for Quarter Gone Bad, many, many people were only hitting 3-5 reps for each 15 second set. So maybe next time scale higher so as to get somewhere in that general vicinity.

Also if you haven't discovered it already through the FAQ, BrandX Martial Arts posts scaled CrossFit WODs every day in their forums; an invaluable resource to newcomers.