CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-28-2005, 01:15 AM   #1
Jason Scully

Profile:
Hello,

I just got a job personal training at a gym and I love crossfit. Most people who train at the gym do a 3 day split type training. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of this workout as a starting point for my clients. I am aware that everyone has different needs so this is just a guide line so they can build strength to move onto other exercises. The exercise difficulties will vary based on my clients current physical abilities. the parenthesis are just variations. I would just like to get some advice on the actual layout.

Joint Mobility
10 minute warm-up (rower, running, bike)
Squats (bodyweight, front dumbbell, front barbell)
Push-ups (legs on bosu, legs on ground, on feet)
Deadlifts (stick, barbell)
Pull-up/Chin-ups (using gravitron, regular)
Push Press (dumbbell, barbell)
Dips (using gravitron, regular)
Back Extensions
Sit-Ups (or other ab exercise)

Followed by walking and stretching as a cool down

The circuit will be done for 2 rounds with rest between each exercise kept at a minimum. I would like to keep the intensity as high as possible. Sessions are usually one hour in length. I appreciate any comments.

Thanks Jason
Old 02-28-2005, 01:37 AM   #2
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
I start people off with all different stuff, whatever the WOD is in my garage for that day =)

The only thing I always make sure is that on a person's first day they ALWAYS learn how to squat or deadlift with good form. So we work on squatting or deadlifting form just about every day in the warmup. My experience is that if someone knows how to squat and dead, I can give 'em wall ball or push presses or thrusters or box jumps or kettlebells no problem.

Otherwise, it's just constantly varied, functional movements, at high intensity.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Lani Lau

Profile:

Jason-
Congratualtions on your job. Glad you love CF. I like that you have covered essential movements in that you open and close the hip, push (in a couple directions) and pull. And you did not forget the sit-ups and back extensions. Great choices. I have a few questions:

1. Is this for a one-one session?
2. How long is each station? Is it timed or is there a number of reps you are looking for?
3. Are your clients already very competent in each movement?

The list reminds me of what we might do for a group circut. While there is nothing wrong with it for a one-one we more commonly limit the number of exercises. My first concern for a beginner is whether or not they can do the exercise with excellent form. In my mind form comes first and intensity later for a beginner especially.

Would like to hear more...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Jason Scully

Profile:
Lani

This is for one one on one sessions.

For beginners the focus is not on time but on proper technique an then as they get more proficient their will be more focus on time.

The clients vary, some aren't very active and others are. Some are familiar with the movements and some aren't

For the ones who are not as familiar with the movements the focus will be more on technique and proper mechanics. For the clients who are familiar their will obviously be a focus on technique but time may also be a facter.

For example I may do for the less experienced two sets of each exercise at a pace where they can learn the techniques and then once they do the intensity will increase.

While for the more experienced clients who are better with the technique I may have them do as many rounds as they can for 20 minutes or 3 rounds at a higher intensity.

Plus loads will vary based on experience and physical ablitlity. These are just ideas. Please give any input that you think may help me.

The reason I have all those exercises in one session is becuase I have to fill an hour time slot and my client are usually not able to do 3 on 1 off splits or 5 on 2 off. They usually do a MWF type split or a Tue TH or Mon TH. Something to that extent.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Jason Scully

Profile:
any other pointers. I would also like to point out that most of my client will be women. If any one has any more comments I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Jason

Congrats!

I have a few suggestions (take it or leave it). :-)

Maybe try to organize it like a crossfit session might go. Instill good habits. Warmup with skills they need to know and work on form. All the exercises you mention can fit into the warm up. Do 3 exercises first, then as they get better and can breeze through them add on.

Then make them do a scaled down WOD. Something challenging, fun, fast paced. Perhaps a circuit of some of the other exercises that weren't in the warmup. Toss the medicine ball around. Create fun circuits and exercises. Remember people will die for points so keep score. Get the stopwatch on them early on. Show them that intensity is good. Show them how to take an "easy" workout and put some fire to it. Get them accustomed to a workout that can be 20 min or less and cardio intensive.

Finish up with some fun gymnastic skills (sommersaults first...handstands later) and stretching.

Teach them how to use their 30-60 minutes in the gym effectively. Keep it fun and intense. Keep score.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Jason Scully

Profile:
Thanks for all of the pointers I appreciate it and I think they will help me creat good workouts for my clients that will actually get them fit and not just make them think they are by having them do exercises and intensities that are not suitable like some other training programs