CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-05-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
Roy Taylor

Profile:
I've been doing Olympic TaeKwondo for about a year and a half and I have to say it is very humbling. In fact the sparring is downright frustrating. even if you're going against a much less experienced opponent, it is still just damn HARD. Anyone here who has done Olympic style(WTF) TKD sparring knows where Im coming from.

I've never done Muay thai or regular kickboxing sparring, but I do Muay Thai on my heavy bag and its a blast. When a friend of mine gets back from a summer trip, we're gonna get the muay thai shin pads(already have gloves) and start sparring. It'll be interesting, since we've never done it!

Im asking a few questions here to certain folks:

1. For those who have done or do both sports--I know the sparring is quite different when comparing the two, but which is more flat out Frustrating? Which is more fun? Compare and contrast.

2. For those who have done or do Kickboxing-- any advice for beginners? Good websites, book, or video recommendations, etc.

thanks in advance

Cheers

Roy

Old 08-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Jason Horton

Profile:

roy-

i used to do full contact sparring in JKD, there was no foul areas if you catch my drift. i believe having great footwork and head movement is essential, even more so that striking ability, but it sounds like you have alot of background and experience. clinching and striking with knees is very cool as well.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Roy,
Good for you for branching out. One of the problems with Martial Arts is people seem to get locked in to one style and are afraid to try new things.
1. Which is more frustrating? I never liked "point style" sparring so I found it very frustrating, probably because my natural tendency leans towards being a counter puncher. I have always found full contact stuff (Boxing/Kickboxing) more fun.
2. I agree with Jason. Take the time to learn footwork. I believe most people think that the striking arts are all about how hard you can hit. I think they are about being where you can hit your opponent and he cannot hit you. When I started boxing my coach made me go three months just doing footwork. That's three months without throwing a punch! But at the end of that time I was very hard to hit. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress and any questions you may have. Oh... keep your kicks low and your hands up. Any of Bas Rutten striking tapes or books would be a good thing to have.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I practice Shootfighting which is a combination of Muay Thai, Sambo, and JJ. I have done some kickboxing only fights as well. Let me see if I can clarify:

There are no points in MT. The only way you can win is by knockout or judges decision. When playing around with your partners (not competing) there usually isn't a definate winner unless a good bi-partisan (sp?) third party can judge.

These concepts can drasically change the way you spar. Strikes that do not cause maximum damage will not be used as often because there is no reason to score points - Basically - Strikes that would not be able to hurt or damage your opponent (even when hitting with full force) are usually neglected (i.e. a lot of the snapping kicks and backfists).

To start getting ready for MT fighting you should start hitting the heavybag A LOT. Practice hitting it with your shins and swinging the bag far - every time you kick. Practice your elbows and knees as well. Shin conditioning is very important even if you plan to use shin guards. Most MT fighting consists of a lot of Roundhouse kicks (using the hip for full power), Front Thust Kicks (some styles call this a 'push kick'), Jabs, and Cross.

That is about the most summarized tips I can give, I hope it helps.

Oh yeah, I hope you are ready to get hit in the thigh a lot. That is where most of those roundhouse kicks are going to go.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Elbows, knees, thigh kicks, jab cross hook uppercut, all full contact, all fast. I'd get thai pads and focus mitts and work my way up to full contact. Work footwork, timing, cinching, rapid fire round kicks using your shin, and elbows. It ain't point sparring!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Kickboxing... powerful, demanding, very fun, but rough on the body. Had to have my nose routed out in my late 20's, for the damage I did to it in my teens. My right knee still creeks. I still remember waking up in the middle of the night, with my ears ringing and nose bleeding from that nights workout.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Guys, Thanks for the replies. very helpful. Footwork is one thing I've neglected a bit. The Heavy bag(Body opponent bag) has been my only home training tool. We dont plan(as of yet) to do actual thai boxing, but regular kickboxing(punches and kicks only. no elbows or knees)

I got more to post, but I gotta run. Any other feedback is appreciated greatly.

Cheers

Roy