CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
What needs the most improvement?

I am curious as to which of the following movements needs the most improvement? My goals are a 225# DL, 200# Back Squat, and BW OHP

Pullups - 40
Front Squat - 165#
Back Squat - 185# (is it normal to have front/back squats so close to each other?)
DL - 210# (could get a little more than that, ran out of time while going for PR)
OHP - 110#
Clean - 125#
Split Jerk - 125#

Stats:
5'6"
125-130#
16 yrs old, so ill probly grow another foot or so if im lucky, but max height is supposed to be 5'8"
Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Joshua Gritton

Profile:
Re: What needs the most improvement?

FS to BS ratio is based on how you rack the back during your back squat.

You have very solid numbers for your age and size. I would just say keep at it and you will see your goals met real fast.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Daniel,

Sincere congratulations on getting started on CF so early. You will be leaps and bounds ahead of your athletic competitors if you stick with this stuff. You are very skinny and (no offense intended) your lifts have a lot of room to go up. I would recommend Starting Strength to you because I think it's what you need. You are new enough to have dramatic increases in strength and, once you finish SS, you'll only be 17 or 18 or so and then you can hit the WODs super hard with your SS strength and gain a lot of great adaptations from the mainpage WOD since youll be 18 and at your prime.

Not sure if this is something you want to embark on though, depending on what your athletic goals are later on in life. Do you plan to compete in sports? Do you want to get bigger and stronger?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

@Colin: Thanks a lot! Im not too interested on just gaining mass strength, as my overall goal is imporving my overall fitness level.

And yes, i do compete in trampolining actually, so thats my main sport. Nothing else fromthat, asides from crossfitting.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

what do you mean by racking the back?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Boris Lau

Profile:

A low-bar back squat is going to allow you to lift more weight.

I assume you're doing Olympic style high-bar squats. In which case, it makes sense that the numbers are close.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
what do you mean by racking the back?
how high or low you place it on your back.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

okay, that makes sense. yea i am dong high bar, but at the same time, i lift to improve everything as a whole, not just to improve my lifts, if that makes sense? Like i dont lift as a powerlfiter, i lift as an athlete.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Doesn't matter if you lift as a powerlifter as that is a completely different topic. To life as a power lifter you would have a very low bar wide grip and super wide base as a squat. As a high bar you have a tighter base and narrow grip with deep depth for Olympic transition. Low bar is just as stated simeply lower on your back and can sacrifice a bit of depth but not a lot and a slightly wider base than the high bar. All it does is change the angle of the bar/body knee/foot ratio.

I tend to do high bar as its just comfortable for me. Then again I also front squat about the same that I could back squat so you see my point? Get the whole I don't want to be a powerlifter thing out of your head if you are focusing on strength and just do the programming I promise you will see gains.

Right now I would say gain about 20+ lbs and your lifts will reflect it immensely. But since you are so young no specific diet or gimic is necessary just keep lifting heavy and find a way to program strength and conditioning if you don't want to sacrifice conditioning in your 'athlete' status. SS calls for just SS and nothing else if you want metcon/conditioning style work also check out 70's big or Lascek's S&C program that is floating around here on the boards.

Good job and good luck bro.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Sam Ser

Profile:

Daniel, no one in this thread can see your technique. Nor can they see your diet, or your rest, or your training program, or any of the peripheral stuff (school work, social life, family life, etc.) that can either get in the way of or support your athletic development. So it's practically impossible to say which of those things needs the most improvement.

However, the one thing we all can see is that you're 16 years old. And at that age, the one thing that needs the most improvement is your inexperience.

That's not a knock on you at all. It's just a reminder that, at this stage, all you really need to do is:

1) train hard
2) eat well
3) rest up
4) have fun with your training
and
5) have a life outside of training

Concerned about your programming? Pick a program and stick with it for several months, then re-evaluate.

Concerned about your technique? Get to a coach. Or post video and hope that someone on the message board can help. Or get some good DVDs. Or all three.

Concerned about nutrition? Read up. Experiment.

But, by all means, relax and just get some more experience. If you have a decent head on your shoulders, everything else will fall into place in due time.

...Just my two cents.