CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Max Seid

Profile:
Cure for the common cold

Needless to say, I'm sick and looking to get better asap. I ususally just take vitamin C and do the whole DayQuil and NyQuil thing. What do you all do for a cold?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Dave Matteson

Profile:
Re: Cure for the common cold

Max, if you haven't seen it already, you might want to browse through this thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21734

It's not an exact answer to your question, but it offers some things to think about, especially for a CrossFitter.

As for what I do personally, I eat and drink (especially water and citrus juices) a lot. Even though I'm not a big fan of prepared foods, if I have a bowl of Campbell's chicken soup, I feel a lot better. I also go for a short run (5K or less) or do a scaled down Fran. Finally, I try to get about 8 hours of sleep over the next couple of nights.

Last edited by Dave Matteson : 10-10-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I think this stuff helps a great deal:

wfs link to a writeup about a herbal remedy: http://www.karenherbs.com/kold_kare.htm

but ONLY (for me) if I take it at the first sign (sniffle / scratchy throat). If you're already into the cold full bore (2 or 3 days), it doesn't seem to do any good.

(oh, and a lot of Vitamin C) (my body is pretty well adapted to seriously heavy doses; if your body isn't, work into it slowly).
Old 10-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I usually head for the fridge and grab a 50/50 mixture of Milk thistle and Echinacea - always the liquid formulations in alcohol and always the root for the Echinacea. I try to take this as early as possible. Apart from that only aspirin or panadol and something like rhinocort for my nose. I stay clear of anything with ephedrine type stuff in it. Get plenty of sleep and eat well.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #5
Richard Furr

Profile:

I like to take lots of EmergenC, the "lite" version with no sugar or sweenters. That or EsterC. I also drink lots of water with some kind of electrolytes(no gatorade). I use Alacer's ElectroMX, by the same company that makes EmergenC. It worked alright for me, but I have not had a cold in while.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 AM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Cold-Eeze helps if you load down as soon as you notice symptoms or before (someone in your house is sick? buy a box and eat it).
Old 10-11-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

Personally - I workout harder to create more heat. I get so many vitamins now with my diet (400-1000% RDA of almost everything) that the only thing that really would help is just heat from within.

Of course because of my diet (which has been good for awhile even before I started Zone/Paleo eating) I haven't been sick in years.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Ken Mindoro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Seid View Post
Needless to say, I'm sick and looking to get better asap. I ususally just take vitamin C and do the whole DayQuil and NyQuil thing. What do you all do for a cold?

A cold treated by a physician gets better in 1-2 weeks. If you leave it alone it will get better in 7-14 days.

If you find something that makes this otherwise, let me know and I'll quit my day job so I can sell it and get rich quick.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
Max Seid

Profile:

George, I (in a wierd and somewhat surprised way) agree with what you said about working out when sick to generate heat. I was really sick about 2 days ago. I took the day off from working out that day. Yesterday morning I felt terrible but I managed to work up the energy to get into the gym and do the WOD, now I feel nearly 100% better. Last night I was wondering if there could be an explanation for being active to cure a cold. What do you think?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

A few people have mentioned using contrast showers to raise core temp.