CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #21
Mike Downing

Profile:
Yes I can kick at a head, I can still perform jump spinning kicks. My "movement" is still like that of an athlete. Meaning that when I perform a martial arts or sports manuever I perform it properly and quickly. I also retain a lot of speed.

A person who played basketball, soccer, or any other sport and did so for a long time and we will assume that they were quite good. Will still be able to do the movements their overall "fitness" will prevent them from running as fast or doing the movements in quick succession.

This may not always be true given dunking, overhead kicks in soccer and the like....

A pullup is not the only gauge of athleticism. If you look like Douglas there and you don't have the ability to perform the same martial arts maneuvers that I can you are fitter but you do not possess the Martial Arts athleticism aspects that I do.

ath·let·ic

of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina

So by your logic if I can't do a pullup then I can't be agile nor will I have any capabilities or skills. A fat guy can still do the splits holmes.

Thanks for your slightly condescending comments but I will take the advice of the other posters on this thread.

Thanks

However, thank you for wishing me good luck.

(Message edited by Mike on July 31, 2007)

(Message edited by Mike on July 31, 2007)
Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #22
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:
Im sorry Matt, I wholeheartedly disagree that anyone who reads the CF WOD can Perform the functions of a Trainer.

Becoming a competent Trainer takes Time, Experience, Education. A Competent Trainer can program for almost any client, can work with Therapists/Athletic Trainers etc. Can recognize poor Biomecahnics and Correct them.

It is too bad that a lot of gyms have hired so many incompetent trainers perpetuating the belief that you have.

I am praying for the day when the States issue the Trainer Certification like a CPA or an LPN or any other professional that provides public service.

That will be the first step in ridding our world of the people who read a work out on the computer and call themselves a Trainer.

Please dont get me wrong the WOD are absolute Gold but in No Way does Reading them and Starting a Stop Watch a Trainer Make.

Heck even the CF Certifcation doesn't make you a trainer IMO. It may make you capable of teaching Crossfit ideology but there is a lot more to providing for a varying Client base than one ideology, no matter how good it is.

I did mention that he should have cut down on the sessions to get the cost more in line.

Bottom line Cross Fit is absolutely amazing! But that doesn't mean that every Trainer is DogS%$#@.

I have been knowledgeable and utilizing Anaaerobic Functional Training long before I ever heard of CrossFit they didn't invent Anaaerobic Functional Training and any good Trainer will have also used it as part of his/her tool box.

Just like Bill Gates didn't invent DOS or the internet but he sure found an easy way for the lay person to use it. But when a real problem arises most people still need a computer expert.

(Message edited by doinwurk on July 31, 2007)
Old 07-31-2007, 02:55 PM   #23
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Jonathan, there's a difference between "anyone who reads the CF WOD" and someone who is competent in the CF program. I meant to basically say anyone working at/for a CF facility (CF certified) can perform those functions. I'm not even certified, but over the past year I've done research on my own and believe that given a little experience, I could put toghether a fitness plan for any person any time.

Matter of fact, I'd go so far as to say anyone who can read books on dealing with people, implement what they recommend, and learn a little technical knowledge can do 90% of the jobs in the United States. Very few jobs require in depth technical knowledge (I'm in scientific research and I use about zero of the things I learned in school).

And you're right, Bill Gates didn't invent DOS, he just took it and ran with it (something other people weren't willing to do), and made billions. Just like CF didn't invent anaerobic functional training, they just took it and ran with it, and hopefully will make billions.

(Message edited by Matt_DeMinico on July 31, 2007)
Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 PM   #24
Andres Diaz

Profile:
As i said, no offence meant. I reviewed my personal experience, namely:
- I have got an injured elbow from kipping pullups, while at 90kg bw, for a month now. CF has become less weight-prejudiced, but not so much.
- CF requires more relative upper body strength than the sports you mentioned you were in (i know this firsthand cus i were in taekwondo for 3 years).
- I have a friend that weighs 110kg, he is no athlete in my opinion, though he can rollskate fairly well, but he can't pullup, so i take that as a signal.

So, it's just my 2 cents. I don't know your weights, nor i know your working weights or what workout you do now, but i really think it's too early for a full CF.

There were a lot of discussion on how to scale WODs, being as strong as i pressume you are, you shouldn't scale anything by CF standards. Got it? You should fran at full weight/rep.

In fact, this isn't exactly a thoroughly described process, i mean increasing fitness for someone who isn't very fit in the very beginning, also the combination of CF with other activities. I had to figure it out myself anyway living outside the CF free world.

Now, if you attend a CF facility it changes things, i bet they will strength-train you too, but lots better than your current gym. My advice was directed to a more general case, when the person doesn't has access to a CF facility, and has to decide what path to follow himself.

It all depends what you mean by "start at Crossfit". CF is mainly an intensity thing with complex exercises.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
As for athletic. I can use a few examples.

Sammo Hung. If you didn't know who he is, you'd just see a wideset Chinese guy. Until he backflips from a stand. Fatman, my arse.

Sumotori. Yes, fat. Fat like a quadruple cheeseburger. Awesome flexibility, lots of strength.

Tony Gwynn. Towards the end of his career, he really got pudgy. Still could hit and move.

I'm sure there is a slew of other Baseball players out there that fall into a similar category and the same could be said of other sports.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #26
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Matt
And you're right, Bill Gates didn't invent DOS, he just took it and ran with it (something other people weren't willing to do), and made billions. Just like CF didn't invent anaerobic functional training, they just took it and ran with it, and hopefully will make billions... of people more fit than they ever have been.

You forgot that part. :wink:
Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #27
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Patrick: that goes without saying. The only way they'll make money (and I do hope they do) is by making people more fit than they ever have been.