CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Brad Thompson

Profile:
Hey Mike -

Check out simplefit.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Robert Hunt

Profile:
Hey Mike,
Like you I started out very out of shape. 406lbs. I worked out with the 3 days weights and 3 days cardio also. I started crossfit in Jan. 2007 and I love it. I am down to 296 lbs. I am still looking forward to my first pullup. Good luck on your journey. Keep us posted.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
Ryan Jones

Profile:
In 'the zone' you should be eating 5-6 times a day and eating carbs (as well as fat and protein) at each of those meals. Bread and grains (and rice) are considered bad carbs and to be avoided if at all possible. I can't say for paleo as I haven't studied that, but I have read 'Entering the Zone' many, many times =P.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
Robert Hunt

Profile:
To add to my previous post. I started out with a used bowflex. Then when I started crossfit I ditched the bowflex and got a barbell and a rack and marked off 400m from my house. I run a week behind with the WOD's , and I pick, choose and sort through them because I do 5 days on and 2 days rest. Just do them the best you can and pretty soon you will surprise yourself. I sub with jumping pull ups, crunches for sit ups. Squats are now my friend.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
Mike Downing

Profile:
All good information. This is definitely one of the most helpful boards I have ever posted on.

I have decided to start at Crossfit-Iowa this week. After speaking with them and listening to what they had to say I am very excited to start.

I could not find any information on the site for "the zone" I did find the links to the "Paleo" diet. I searched Google and came up with a book that I could buy. Not sure if there is an alternate location or if you have to buy the book.

Thanks to everyone who posted and for your advice. I obviously have since taken it and will most likely come back to the board for more questions.

Thanks again.

Mike
Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 AM   #16
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:
I beleive that you might have dumped your trainer a little quick.

Just my .02

I would have told the Trainer that My goals were to pursue the Functionaly Designed Programms like CrossFit and would he be able to accomodate.

Then I would try to cut down my sessions so that the cost was more compareable.

The Benefits to hacving him were that:

1. your time was truly one on one (form issues Safety, and being able to learn about Fitness Concepts, Nutrition etc are all right there)

2. He had already spent time with you so he knows your current Fitness Level, Medical History, etc. already.

3. If your goals change, you get injured, he can change your work outs to suit your needs.

Im knew to this site and from reading I can tell that the Trainer is viewed as just the hired thug for the Globo Gym.

In a lot of cases that may be true, but In some cases Trainers actually have a great deal of experience, Multiple Certifications, and are able to truly impart education as well as a great workout.

I could see if the OP said that the Trainer was ignoring his needs or performing unsafe activities, but he actually mentioned CF to his Client.

How can he be dismissed so quickly without knowing anything about him?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:38 AM   #17
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Jonathan: at that cost, he could have spent his money much better either at a home gym (and scaled down the trainer to once in a long while), or, he could have spent less money and gotten the same benefits you mentioned at a CF facility.

While not all affiliates are stocked with high-end exercise physiologists, anyone who's competent in the CF program can perform 90% of the functions of a personal trainer, especially if they do research of their own (aka reading). It's just like me, I've got a 4-year degree, but I've learned much more valuable information about having success by reading books on my own.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 AM   #18
Mike Downing

Profile:
Jonathan,

If you read my original post my trainer did not tell me about Crossfit. He mentioned that other trainers were doing the "300" workout. From my own curiosity I researched it and traced it back to the man who trained the actors and stunt men for the movie, he and people in the comments section made comments about Crossfit and was once affiliated with them.

Here he talks about various things including Kettlebell training and in the comments section many users refer to Crossfit specifically.

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/artic...miller_mo.html

If you look at this article you will see the workouts that the stunt men and actors went through. I'm no expert but it looks Crossfit-ish.

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35

Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 AM   #19
Douglas W. Hathaway

Profile:
Mike,

Good Luck with everything. I used to be there too. I lost some of it in basic training and afterwards, but it wasn't until crossfit that I started looking and feeling like a superhero!

Doug
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM   #20
Andres Diaz

Profile:
I'd say stay on Free Weight Strength Training and medium to low carb diet till you are able to do a pullup (i guess it'll be possible when you break the 220lbs mark in a 6 months period or less, with your dedication) then you could crossfit somehow efficiently.

> I currently, can not even do 1 pull-up kipping or otherwise. I have a large martial art’s background from Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Wing Chun, to Wushu. And still retain that athleticism for movement and speed.

With due respect, i don't completely understand what "athleticism" are you talking about if you can't even do a pullup. You run fast, can kick at head level or it's just some spiritual oriental athleticism?

CF is real fitness. Good luck!