CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
jaclyn troup

Profile:  
I've heard great things about crossfit, but I'm hesitant to take it up only because I'm scared I may lose the size I have right now. I'm not huge by any means, but I compete in fitness competitions so I need more size but I'm a little scared to switch when this has been working for me so far. I've been doing 5-6 day splits, 45 min each, about 12 sets per bodypart of 6-12 reps with 60-90 sec rest. I love this style of training, but its not as functional as crossfit which would definitely help with my fitness routine/strength holds, etc.. any ideas? maybe I can incorporate both into my workouts? Oh I'm 5'4" F, 118lbs.. i'll see if i can attach a pic..http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/45223.jpg
Old 07-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
I think that you should go for the functional training. It is more realistic I would think.

The mods might want to take the picture out of your post, though. The Work/Family safe rule seems mainly applied to links, but still ...

Old 07-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Joshua Marcum

Profile:
If you don't want to lose the size you just have to make sure your diet can withstand the additional work. The changes you introduce to the program will shock your body so be ready for that. but you should be able to execute the program without losing much if any. As far as combining the routines, the asymetry that people typically battle with especially on stage are a result of uneven distribution of forces or production of forces during movement. If you took the time to nail the form, ques, and mechanics assymetry on stage would no longer be a problem. Not to mention the CF regimen will be much more effective than your old routine in relation to your fitness goals. Supplementing with the other stuff will only blunt the efficacy of the program. Without getting too far into it when you train your body in a segmented pattern you are attempting to rework the hardwire in your nervous system = not really conducive for optimum fitness. The body is meant to work as one unit, anything other than that is working in the wrong direction.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Robert Olajos

Profile:
What do you want? Do you want functional fitness? Do CF. Do you want to compete as you do currently? Keep training the way you are training. My impression is that doing CF will not help you win in fitness competitions. Perhaps someone who has tried to combine the two will chime in though.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
Jaclyn:

You definitely won't lose any size at all if you keep your diet in check. You should know that. Only way you're gonna start losing muscle mass if you're eating under maintenance cals. Add in some more cals + good training for increased muscle mass. :-)

Splits are definitely not the quickest way to add mass. Overall heavy lifting pretty often is the best way. Depends on where you want to add mass though -- a split would be effective if you wanted to 'shape' your existing muscle mass, but since you want to add overall body mass it's not going to be the most effective. You're probably going to be looking for something along the lines of CF plus max effort black box (e.g. heavy lifting). This generally helps people increase their strength rather quickly coupled with diet and CF will lead to good mass gains.

CF would definitely be good for helping you with whatever routine you want to perform because of the increase in fitness. I suppose that's why you're here though.

BTW, pretty good body so far with just a split.

Robert:

Actually fitness competitors have to do routines similar to stuff you would see in gymnastics except dialed down a bit. She could definitely benefit from CF.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
is this for real?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:
Yes, she is for real, I looked her up.

She's part of Northern Physique, a Canadian Bodybuilding group (at least I think its a group or a gym).

Steven has great advice, I'd take it. You will find though that doing both a split and CF is going to take a huge toll. I'd go with the ME black box approach Steven speaks of. A search of the forums will give you all the information you'd ever want.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Agree with Robert/Steven
Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #9
jaclyn troup

Profile:  
thanks for all the input - i think i will start CF, but since i'm unfamiliar with some of the powerlifting moves i'll gradually start practising them until i feel comfortable with the form then i'll fully switch. i'm excited for a new challenge!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Welcome, and keep us posted on your progress!