CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
Ed Malloy

Profile:
I live in a pretty small town, and I'm thinking about taking up some kind of martial arts classes to increase my daily activity beyond my time in the gym. My options are limited with only three places in the area, but one of those places offers kickboxing, which interests me much more than anything else available.

My question is this: Though I'm currently eating very healthy and exercising regularly, I still consider myself out of shape. Can an out-of-shape person hope to benefit from and correctly and fully take part in kickboxing lessons, or should I hold off until I'm in better shape than I am now?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
It is a mistake to wait until you think you are in shape before starting.

Any new type of exercise is going to make you feel out of shape, until you get used to it.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Will Blankenship

Profile:
If the gym is legit, they will get you in shape. They will be happy to help you get in shape and they will understand why you're not already. You can't get in fighter shape until you train like a fighter. We regularly have people come in the gym who THINK they're in the greatest shape... they're usually the ones puking or on their back at the end of our warm up. If you've been doing crossfit style workouts, you'll be fine.

Go check out all of the gyms you are considering. Any gym worth it's salt should let you go through a few classes before committing. Don't go and watch... that's BS... go in and hit the mat with them. Do research on the gyms you're considering, don't just pick one because they have a cool sign out front. Research their lineage. Pick the one that suits you.

BEWARE: The recent rise of MMA has given birth to a nation of McDojos. Make sure the kickboxing coach doesn't have a backgound in Tae Bo and make sure the boxing didn't come from a Sports Illustrated training article.

Good Luck!

Will
Straight Blast Gym of AL
Old 08-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Michael McMahon

Profile:
Find out the instructors background and experience level. Also what kind of kickboxing is taught? Like the other guys said, don't wait, round after round of pad and bag work will help get you in shape quick. Another thing, check out ow the instructor is towards the other students. Does he seem to clearly explain things? Does he give enough attention to a student that is struggling with a technique or does he just seem to work with certain "favored" students? These are all things that you should keep in mind when running through your first few intro classes.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Darren Zega

Profile:  
I started kickboxing back in high school. I was probably 20-25% BF, terrible endurance, no strength to speak of - generally a fat mess. I was told on day one I was training for an amateur bout 6 months away and I nearly wet myself. Trust yourself and dive in, you'll rise to the challenges. If your trainers are legit and have the necessary facilities they'll get you into great shape. Like others have said, you'll never be in as good shape as you'd like to before starting, but you'll get there afterwards.

(Message edited by davion13 on August 08, 2007)