CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Hi,
This is probably a question for Alison Foreman but if anyone can help that would be great. I'm looking at the 7ft International Hard Chrome Barbell 450kg Test from York UK. Is this a decent bar? Do you know if it is the needle bearing type bar? It has the split sleeve - does this denote the use of needle bearings? Will this be a suitable bar for O lifting as part of the CF programme? I'll be buying a couple some 10k and 15k bumpers aswell for use with the bar so want to make sure I'm getting the most appropriate stuff.

I've struggled to get a response from the UK contact I was given so am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Not too sure chris, I purchd a marcy bar to withstand the same weight, although when I dld around 440lbs the bar had some major bend on it and its now warped!!!!

Where will you be buying the bumpers from ? Ive looked all over for some genuine bumpers and it seems the only plates made from rubbe we have here are rubber rimmed.

Leon.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Leon
The bar I'm looking at is rated way more than I will be ever lifting I reckon so it's more the potential dropping I'm worried about to be honest. I looked at the Macy and Golds bars but both are quite low rated and I reckon I'll outgrow them pretty quick.

You can get proper bumpers from the York site direct - http://www.yorkfitness.com/Plates-it...ning-Disc.html - or the rubber edged ones. I am considering the rubber edged ones as I'll be flooring my home gym with enough rubber over other dempening to compensate - and I just have a penchant for the york rubber edged grip plates!

The site says they deliver free for orders over £100 too. I have tried getting in touch with Phil which Alison reco'd I try but he has not returned any of my emails etc.

Maybe us Uk CF's should put in a bulk order to Alison and get the CF discount and try to save on the shipping - we'll probably save quite a bit on the exchange rate too!
Old 12-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Thanks Chris, not a bad idea. We really should do something like that.Only problem would be the drop off point! Any ideas on that aswell?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Hadn't thought that far ahead to be honest. I guess we're all pretty spread out (London for me).
Old 12-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Leon,
Just got in touch with Alison Foreman to see if we can get a decent Uk based York contact and to see if we can get the discount over here. Might be a start.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Excellent Chris, Thanks for the update. Keep me posted. send me an email or PM with any news.

Happy new year by the way.

Leon.