CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #31
Christian Salas

Profile:
Re: More thngs to do with pipe

Here's my bumper plate rack, copied from my post on bodybuilding.com. (Same basic idea is referenced in other posts.)

I used 1" threaded pipe with end caps (4" and 6" lengths) , and plumbing floor flanges, each piece is around $2, so the cost adds up pretty quick if you make a lot. (Bought at Home Depot; Lowe's only had plastic pipe.)

I screwed the flanges into the 2x6s using 1/4" screws that were 4" or 5" long. The screws went into the wood and the studs behind them. The wood frame itself is screwed into studs using the 1/4" screws as well. I used 4 screws. That's the most important part, securing the wood to studs.

The pipe, flanges and end caps are all easy to screw together, but I did use vise grips to further screw them together and tighten them.

Note the pipe is pretty small for Olympic diameter (2") weights, but the end caps are 1.5" diameter so the weights fit over them nicely and the caps help hold the weights on. There's no problem with weakness or the possibility of pulling the screws out.

I was sure to let the 2x6s rest supported on the ground (see "base.jpg"). I wedged some thin wood shims down under the board and drywall, and I've already noticed the rack has settled onto them in the two weeks since I built it. I wouldn't recommend just relying on the screws to hold the rack up.

Finally just measure your weights to make sure you have ample room around them. Mine was easy since I was only using 18" bumper plates on the vertical boards, and small "change" weights above. Probably not a good idea to devote more than 100 lbs per 2x6. That's about what mine hold each, and like I said, no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1869  Click image for larger version

Name:	base.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1870  Click image for larger version

Name:	rack1.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1871  Click image for larger version

Name:	garage05_08.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1872  

Last edited by Christian Salas : 06-02-2008 at 03:48 PM.