CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Jason M Struck

Profile:
Let's Compare Bumpers!

So, the previous "Let's compare Kettlebells" thread was a pretty big success, and I hope it has helped a few equipment needy people out.

Now, bumpers.

I suggest we rate various features;
Give it a 1-10 score overall, and also some specific ones, such as width, material, fit/finish, durability etc.

I'll start:
Power-Systems...

http://www.power-systems.com/p-2457-...er-plates.aspx

Overall 8

Width-10 (they are all close to the same standard and narrow width, easy to cram a lot of weight on their if necessary
Material-8 Solid Rubber
Fit Finish- 8 outer shell is very nice, inner is brass insert just like cheaper bumpers
Durability-?
Value-5 pretty pricey

I lifted with these while training at Velocity sports performance. They were pretty damn nice. Just not nice enough to warrant paying twice as much as you do for Kraiburgs or the like. There cheaper model is about $1.35/lb before shipping.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Jason M Struck

Profile:
Re: Let's Compare Bumpers!

attempting to resurrect this thread; i believe that it could assist the community in a very common problem.

do you have an opinion on the Pendlay stuff? Jason Wright's stuff? Kraiburgs? Please put it here, and help to serve the rest of the community.

MOD; let's sticky it. This topic clogs the board with new threads every week about the same stuff.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Alex Rosch

Profile:

I've got a set of York training bumpers (the black ones)...
asides from getting stinky when it's warm, they're 10/10 all around.
I'll review again after the platform is built and I'm regularly doing higher weight oly lifting...see how the 2" brass inserts do with regular use (abuse?)

Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Dave Hancock

Profile:

I don't know how useful a rating system will be unless the rater has used all brands. I've only used the brand Pendlay sells. In my limited experience, I'd rate them a 10.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Jason M Struck

Profile:

many regular posters have at least experienced two brands, and that should form the basis of their opinion.

Perhaps you could describe the Pendlay equipment with more detail, such that if someone that has specific needs they might glean from your comments whether or not the Pendlay equipment does in fact fulfill those needs.

One thing I am concerned with is DIAMETER of the bumpers. Sometimes this isn't evident immediately on a webpage, if at all. I would like to know that I could fit enough 45lb bumpers onto a bar to make a 400lb+ deadlift safe to DROP. Hence, a thinner bumper is better to me. Who might suspect that this is a deal/no deal issue for me? You never know, so just spill it!

Perhaps one could also QUOTE the PRICE PER POUND that they specifically paid with and without delivery. Including their location. For example, being in Virginia means that shipping and handling from Wright, Pendlay and MuscleDriver are ALL pretty cheap and pretty fast. But if I lived in Alaska, perhaps the fact that Pendlay includes an averaged shipping would benefit me and hurt someone in PA. Sometimes the choice between two equivalent products may come down to shipping savings.

See. Say whatever you can. You never know what things you know others don't, or what they might find useful, so simply DIVULGE.

How many users had experience with more than one Kettlebell before they posted their thoughts to the "let's compare kettlebells" thread? And yet, to date over 8,000 people have read that thread. It must have had some use.

Last edited by Jason M Struck : 04-21-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typos and tone
Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Stephen Baker

Profile:

I just drove down to Birmingham and bought 730 lbs of bumpers from Wright Exercise. Also got two full size oly bars, a 6 foot womens bar, power cage and 25, 44, 50 and 70 lb Ader kettlebells.

The bumpers are black and blue, and the black were $1.10 per lb.

The diameters are spot on, and the durability is perfect. The brass inner rings are well milled and the structure of the plates are truely flat and easy to load.

I know quite a few people have tried these, and I'd just like to say that Jason Hughes is a top notch person to deal with. We drove down from Nashville on Friday, and it saves us a huge amount on shipping. Trust me, Jason will take care of you if you can make it there. CrossFit is a huge bit of his bumper business, which is a good sign for our little universe.

If you can get there, it's well worth the savings, even with gas prices. Thanks Jason.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Jason M Struck

Profile:

I have family in Atlanta, and would certainly consider picking up something like that if it saved me a $100+.

Same thing with swinging through Ohio, though I must admit I'd be less inclined to do so in the specific case of Ohio...
Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
Steve Reggio

Profile:

I have 5 sets of the Wright Rubber Bumpers and have to say I have had no problems at all. They are a 10 in my book.

I agree Jason is top notch- I ordered the black because they were cheaper, he was out of stock so he sent me the colored bumpers at no additional charge. Only problem is now I am stuck having to order the colored bumpers from now on because they look cool...

Solid all the way around, especially on the Pendlay Bars- Sweet!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M Struck View Post
See. Say whatever you can. You never know what things you know others don't, or what they might find useful, so simply DIVULGE.

How many users had experience with more than one Kettlebell before they posted their thoughts to the "let's compare kettlebells" thread? And yet, to date over 8,000 people have read that thread. It must have had some use.
I agree these type threads can be useful, and I'll give more info about my bumpers when I get home (sizes, widths etc), but I don't put much stock in the rating number, especially one from someone like me (a bumper newb).

I bet someone who has never used a computer before would rate a first generation PC a 10.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Andrew Makely

Profile:

Ordered my bumpers from Jason at wright rubber. Super pleasant. Got the set and it was 1.10 a pound. The $141 for shipping to Fort Collins CO hurts but what are you gonna do. So total for pairs of 45, 35, 25, 10 with shipping was $394. I will get them tomarrow. Super stoked!