CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #31
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Starting Team CrossFit Olympic Lifting Team

your snatch should be around 75-85% of your CJ. So with a 40k snatch you should be able to CJ +/- 50K.

If I were to pick a number...if you can snatch half your bodyweight and CJ a proportionate amount with good form - there's no reason you shouldn't/couldn't compete - at least experience it.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #32
Adam Noble

Profile:

Definitely will have some interested parties as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #33
John Filippini

Profile:

Seconding the recommendation of just get in the meet. I know it feels awkward the first time if you're unsure of yourself, but everyone there will just be really happy to have more people involved, and you'll have a blast.

I think if you really want a number to go by, then the recommendation for 50% bodyweight is a good one. The last meet I was at allowed a separate lifting category for novices (unofficial designation), and looking at the numbers, a lot of them were snatching about 50%-60%. There was even one person who snatched at 37% though... it really doesn't matter. Just get out there and do it!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #34
John C. Brown

Profile:

So first off Coach, We are in with both feet!

Secondly, Kelly and I just competed in our first meet at MBS CrossFit in Broomfield Colorado. Patrick Burke did an amazing job of setting this up and running the event, so he is a great place to look for help. I also know that Eddie and Lisa Lugo have held events at CF San Diego, so they are a good resource too.

I spoke with Pat (Burke) and brought up the idea of doing several competitions around the state (of Colorado) throughout the year, culminating in a "Colorado CrossFit Olympic Lifting Championship." I know that the point is to eventually compete at (as Coach B said) local, State and National levels. This meet was a great learning meet, a chance to see what you could expect and learn how to plan strategy for prep and performance. I was fortunate enough to speak with Coach before hand and I doubt I would have done as well with out it. I think that this is great.

Coach, please let me know what if anything I can do to help.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #35
Mike Burgener

Profile:

we are almost there. no. 1 i spoke with usaw today to do register a club. the club will be team crossfit. once the club is registered i will give you a link to fill out the membership to usa weightlifting for a membership number. the club name and number as well as the lwc number will need to be filled out. everyone signs up as team so calif. like veronica carpenter indicated. now the big surprise and honor is that bob takano is interested in being involved. wow what an honor that is for team crossfit.

more to come!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #36
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Coach B--
Sounds great! We've been blessed to have Rich Lansky helping us out here.
Look forward to hearing more.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #37
Mike Burgener

Profile:

the idea of doing several competitions around the state (of Colorado) throughout the year, culminating in a "Colorado CrossFit Olympic Lifting Championship as john brown suggest is outstanding for all crossfit affiliates who are interested in competitions with the oly lifts. learning the aspects of how a meet is run from the warm ups, to counting attempts of your athletes ensuring they are properly warmed up on time along with the strategy that one uses to get the best performance is a must. this is fun and just has to be experienced to understand in's and out's of competition. our lwc has a big meet next week at newport harbor high school in newport harbor, ca. if any affiliates are interested in watching how a meet is run i would suggest you attend. contact me if you need info. re the meet.

more to come. mikeburgener@mac.com
Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #38
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Coach B--
CrossFit Gulf Coast is in!
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #39
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgener View Post
the idea of doing several competitions around the state (of Colorado) throughout the year, culminating in a "Colorado CrossFit Olympic Lifting Championship as john brown suggest is outstanding for all CrossFit affiliates who are interested in competitions with the oly lifts. learning the aspects of how a meet is run from the warm ups, to counting attempts of your athletes ensuring they are properly warmed up on time along with the strategy that one uses to get the best performance is a must. this is fun and just has to be experienced to understand in's and out's of competition. our lwc has a big meet next week at newport harbor high school in newport harbor, ca. if any affiliates are interested in watching how a meet is run i would suggest you attend. contact me if you need info. re the meet.

more to come. mikeburgener@mac.com
Coach Burgener -

Count me in. Tell Sage I even bought a singlet - it's a Sydney Games-style, sufficient to scare children. Someone just point me to the comps.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #40
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

And the PWAhttp://www.lifttilyadie.com/PWA/pwa.htm is holding the PWA Championships on Feb 21 for anyone in the Northern Cali area....links are WFS