CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Mike Burgener

Profile:
Thumbs up jp crossfit san diego goes thru a sn progression

http://www.mikesgym.org/wod/video/jp%20snatch.mov

check out jp's lifting. dutch did the same progression and made a new record while tony budding has it on the journal page. we took the same progression and jp went from a 80 kg snatch to a 81 new record then a 87 for a new record. strong lifting! technique will get better as he gets more experience. good job jp!!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Herm Blancaflor

Profile:
Re: jp crossfit san diego goes thru a sn progression

Sweet!

Muscle Snatch to PP/OHS to Snatch Balance to 1 RM attempt. 7 kilo PR is HUGE! I'm going to try this.

Mike, forgive my ignorance, but can you explain why this progression worked so well for these two studs?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Mike Burgener

Profile:

i think both dutch and jp are great athletes, but they had not yet felt that heavy weight that they were both capable of lifting. i think dutch's best snatch was 80 as well or close to it and yet he was much better than that, same with jp. i felt that it was important for them to "feel" that heavy wt. with jp and dutch we started them with no pre-conceived notion of what they would do or even if they would be trying for a new record, but i wanted to as a coach see if they could handle a heavier load with all the supporting muscle groups. so in reality this workout was more for me "to see" "to try" "to experiment" with. it worked. sounds like: THE BLACK BOX to me!! once their confidence was built and the knew they could handle the wt it became a no brainer. i use to have casey b doing sn balances, sn pp+ohs and rack jerks all the time to build that confidence. hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Herm Blancaflor

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: jp crossfit san diego goes thru a sn progression

Totally helps. Thanks for explaining your rationale, Coach. It really makes sense the way you explained it. I'm excited to try this on some of my own clients, and for myself as well.

Thanks again!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Man I need to find an excuse to go to California and train with you for a bit. One of my athletes (Andrew Astalos, CFJ 68 cover, "National Champion Under Development") is out in LA training for short track with one of the best clubs in the country. I've been hoping he'd be able to make it down to your place once while he was there, but I don't know what their schedule looks like, and when he can get in to work with you based on your schedule too.

I just really could use some good O-lifting coaching, especially considering I can power clean a good 10 or 15 kg more than I can push jerk, I've got some issues there.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Mike Burgener

Profile:

matt,

you are always welcome to mikes gym as are any of our athletes and or friends!!!

coach b