CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Patrick McCarty

Profile:
Re: Outlaw way or Crossfit oly cert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Quinones View Post
I would like to know as well how USAW (and Crossfit oly) teach the snatch, specifically addressing the techniques Jay and Tricia have mentioned (i.e. jump and shrug, catapult, hip contact, etc).
My guess is that each coach has his or her unique approach to the technique. From my somewhat limited experience, a weekend cert is insufficient to teach and ingrain the nuances involved in learning and thus coaching the snatch. It takes months of one-on-one coaching in Oly technique by an Oly coach.

Breaking down the C&J and Snatch into drillable chunks that can become muscle memory execution takes time. Learning to SPOT technique issues takes time as well. A weekend Oly cert will get you nowhere in terms of being able to properly spot nuances of technique problems and properly coach same.

If you really want to become a better Oly lifter and thus a better oly coach, train with a weightlifting coach in addition to your CF regimen for 6 months. Then attend a weekend cert.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I would not classify the Crossfit Oly Cert methodology as "pull, pull, pull". There is a heavy emphasis on finishing the pull then moving like gangbusters under the bar. "Speed under the bar" is something you'll hear over and over at the Crossfit Oly cert. I've never heard "pull, pull, pull." Overly long pulls are highly discouraged as that reduces speed under the bar.

The coaching style I would classify as "pull, pull, pull" are those coaches who decide to teach the power clean and power snatch before teaching the squat versions. That is clearly not the Crossfit Oly cert method in any way, shape, or form.

Also, I took the USAW cert in 2000 so I don't know that much about the current curriculum. However, I'm fairly sure the USAW cert covers certain material that is skipped in the Crossfit Oly cert because that material is already taught in the Crossfit Level 1 cert. The Crossfit Oly cert does not delve too much into nutrition, programming, basic squat therapy 101, etc. So if you've taken the Level 1 cert and you then take the USAW cert you may hear certain topics that are either redundant or conflicting with the Level 1 curriculum.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 12-18-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Mike Quinones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I would not classify the Crossfit Oly Cert methodology as "pull, pull, pull". There is a heavy emphasis on finishing the pull then moving like gangbusters under the bar. "Speed under the bar" is something you'll hear over and over at the Crossfit Oly cert. I've never heard "pull, pull, pull." Overly long pulls are highly discouraged as that reduces speed under the bar.

The coaching style I would classify as "pull, pull, pull" are those coaches who decide to teach the power clean and power snatch before teaching the squat versions. That is clearly not the Crossfit Oly cert method in any way, shape, or form.

Also, I took the USAW cert in 2000 so I don't know that much about the current curriculum. However, I'm fairly sure the USAW cert covers certain material that is skipped in the Crossfit Oly cert because that material is already taught in the Crossfit Level 1 cert. The Crossfit Oly cert does not delve too much into nutrition, programming, basic squat therapy 101, etc. So if you've taken the Level 1 cert and you then take the USAW cert you may hear certain topics that are either redundant or conflicting with the Level 1 curriculum.
It sounds like you found the Crossfit Oly cert pretty helpful? How long ago did you take it?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Quinones View Post
It sounds like you found the Crossfit Oly cert pretty helpful? How long ago did you take it?
Never actually took it; I've been an assistant coach at the Oly cert many times as well as at the original Crossfit certs before there was a seperate L1 cert and Oly cert. I've been training with the Burgeners since October 2000, so I know the program and the results it gets pretty well.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
Mike Burgener

Profile:

i will post here because it involves the crossfit olympic coach course. first off as the coach of the crossfit olympic course i am obviously bias....but having said that the GOAL of the crossfit olympic course to teach trainers, coaches how to teach. i believe in fundamentals and i believe in drills....we do that in the course. we work positions....i have NEVER said NOR WOULD I SAY: pull, pull, pull!!! speed is the key, timing is critical. in my humble opinion i say take as many courses as you can afford. i know glenn pendlay does a great job, so does don mc cauly....i have heard good things about the outlaw system too. they are all good.....if you can afford to do it all....do it!!! my course is based on what i have learned from others over the +45 yrs i have been a competitor and a coach!! my best teachers were my students....who really taught me how to keep it simple and work the program!!! you learn from everyone!!! choose the best....leave the rest!!! hope this helps!! coach b
Old 12-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #16
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgener View Post
i will post here because it involves the crossfit olympic coach course. first off as the coach of the crossfit olympic course i am obviously bias....but having said that the GOAL of the crossfit olympic course to teach trainers, coaches how to teach. i believe in fundamentals and i believe in drills....we do that in the course. we work positions....i have NEVER said NOR WOULD I SAY: pull, pull, pull!!! speed is the key, timing is critical. in my humble opinion i say take as many courses as you can afford. i know glenn pendlay does a great job, so does don mc cauly....i have heard good things about the outlaw system too. they are all good.....if you can afford to do it all....do it!!! my course is based on what i have learned from others over the +45 yrs i have been a competitor and a coach!! my best teachers were my students....who really taught me how to keep it simple and work the program!!! you learn from everyone!!! choose the best....leave the rest!!! hope this helps!! coach b
This is why we love Coach B...no arrogance, no fluff, just DO WORK!!

I agree, learn from everyone, but my $0.02, learn from Coach B first!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #17
Mike Quinones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgener View Post
Thanks coach. Do you expect to be at the Colorado cert in June?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
Mike Burgener

Profile:

mike....i will be there if their are the numbers that warrant me coming in. otherwise i will send my son beau, who is a great coach and will do a great job. thank you for your interest mike!!!