CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Amanda L Dixon

Profile:
Exclamation Another for Paleo...how long is too long?

Just wanted to get some feedback. My BF and I are starting a FULL 100% paleo diet beginning on Monday. We're going shopping tomorrow and beginning to clean out the kitchen of all the crud food we have. My question is...there have been a lot of 'paleo challenges' going around and what not. Is this something that should only be done for 30-45 days or is this something that is nutritionally safe to do more long term? I've also read where some 'modify' the diet cutting out all the 'no-no's' except for milk or cheese or what not. (Due to the rapid weight loss a lot of experienced due to the drastic diet changes, to help aid in keeping weight on and so on.) I've always been a very petite person and have always had problems with putting on weight. I stand at 5' 2" and my weight is always at 110-115. I'm one of those that can eat fast food/junk food all day everyday and not gain any extra weight. My BF is also concerned with rapid weight-loss in the first 20-30 days of going Paleo. Any advice/feedback?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Niall Somerville

Profile:
Re: Another for Paleo...how long is too long?

I would say "absolutely" it's healthy to stick with long term. That's the whole point of the paleo diet, health and performance. There is nothing unsafe about eating lean meats, fruits, vegetables and healthy fats and cutting out processed foods and sugar. You are right in regards to re-introducing dairy but I would say that's only those people who wish to gain more weight and can't get the calories any other way. Tell your boyfriend not to worry about rapid weight loss. As long as he is eating enough calories/protein/fats etc all he will lose is bodyfat and water. His muscle loss should be fairly minimal if any at all. Some people (myself included) struggle to get enough calories on paleo so they introduce milk back in and use it as easy calories while trying to gain weight.

I hope this makes sense. Sorry if it's a bit confusing. I worked from 5:30am until 8pm today so i'm slightly buggered
Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I am also a small person. Thin is a better word, I guess. I'm 6'1" and I was about 135 pounds when I started CrossFit (I was eating a vegetarian diet while at college, meaning I ate nearly nothing at all). Since starting CrossFit, I've gotten up to 160. I've found it very difficult to gain any more... I'd like to be 185ish. Just some background information.

Now, in regards to your question... I have recently begun a full paleo diet with the very occasional glass of milk. I have found it quite easy to maintain my 160 pounds. I don't have to eat absurd amounts of food to keep my weight stable or anything like that. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Just start the diet and monitor your results. If you are losing, eat more. If you're maintaining, high five.

Also, I'm beginning the arduous process of coconut milk and olive oil drinking this week in order to gain weight. If either you or your boyfriend is interested in weight gain, I'll let you know how that goes. =]

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

The paleo diet is not a weight loss diet. It's an eat healthy foods and not crap diet. If you don't want to lose weight, eat more. Pretty simple really. If people lose weight on the paleo diet it is either because they want to and they accordingly eat less and better, or b/c they are too lazy to eat more of the right foods and then eat less by default.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Alot of stuff in the grey area is goal and person specific. Dairy if you tolerate it and want to gain weight, sweet potatoes and bean if you tolerate it and need more carbs.

For the challenge, I would be very strict, then modify. That6 way you can see the affects of the foods you re introduce.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Alot of stuff in the grey area is goal and person specific. Dairy if you tolerate it and want to gain weight, sweet potatoes and bean if you tolerate it and need more carbs.

For the challenge, I would be very strict, then modify. That6 way you can see the affects of the foods you re introduce.
You should really think of this challenge as a science experiment. You want your body totally clean by the end of it, so that you can reintroduce dairy/legumes/whatever and see how your body reacts to it.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Amanda L Dixon

Profile:

I appreciate everyone's advice and input on this. I do want to clarify that myself nor my BF are looking to loose weight. From our CF group here in Germany on base, everyone was noticing that in the first 2-3 weeks of going Paleo they were losing a lot of weight. This was just a concern of ours. If the weight continues to drop after the first 2-3 weeks we'll up the oil intake to add fat's to our daily caloric intake. We also are not doing this as a 30-45 day challenge, we're making this change for the long haul. Thanks everyone and keep the advice coming!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"We also are not doing this as a 30-45 day challenge, we're making this change for the long haul. Thanks everyone and keep the advice coming!"

Look back to what Bo and I said about the challenge. The challenge should be super strict to give you a "clean palette" to work from. You eliminate anything that might possibly cause a problem. Then, after 30 or 45 days, you can reinteroduce things (legumes, dairy (different forms of dairy have different reactions), tubers, bread (yes I said bread, deal with it)). Or you can stick with the food choices as is.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
Amanda L Dixon

Profile:

Thanks again everyone for the advice and input. We understand the paleo diet and what is accepted as paleo and not. We're going grocery shopping in a few hours to re-stock our new to be paleo kitchen. Looking forward to the change of diet. I was only using dairy as an example of what some have incorperated back into their diet after loosing more weight than desired after a prolonged period of time being on the paleo diet. Happy St. Patricks Day everyone!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

If I'm strict paleo and I just eat when I'm hungry and eat however much I like to not be hungry anymore then I lose weight. I think that is a totally legit concern.

Solution? Track what you eat with FitDay, or similar. If you punch in your food and it comes out low in calories then make a conscious effort to eat more. Also, you can track your weight. Keeping in mind that a lower carbohydrate diet will cause you to retain less water (thus some initial weight loss) this might be a useful gauge that you aren't eating enough.