CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
William Hunter

Profile:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...t-science.html

Has anyone seen this? I checked it out the other day, but I think it will be aired again. Basically, various martial arts experts are using their techniques on a government issued crash test dummy, which measures the forces of various types of blows. There's a weapons section as well, including Inosanto and his Kali sticks.

One highlight was Rickson Gracie performing a crucifix at full power, something he said he'd never try on a real human. He ended up applying 600 lbs of torque to the upper cervical spine.

I'm not involved in MMA, just a fan, but would be curious if anyone saw this. Neat idea IMO, but perhaps impossible to realistically recreate real world scenarios.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
very cool. please post if you see when it will be aired again...i couldn't find it on the tv schedule link.

how about that flying knee kick?!?!?!?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
Bill Russell

Profile:
Looks like Sunday 8/27 at 3:00pm and Monday 9/4 at 9:00pm and again at midnight.

I missed it but everyone was talking about it last night at MA class. I guess the muay tai guy's rising knee to the sternum was the most powerful, or one of the most powerful, strikes they measured.

(Message edited by Otis My Man on August 23, 2006)

(Message edited by Otis My Man on August 23, 2006)
Old 08-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
yeah, melchor menor's knee was measured to be equal to a 35 mile an hour car crash.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Very cool special.

Melechor's knee was the strongest leg strike and strongest strike overall.

Some boxers punch was the best punch. Although I don't think it would of mattered, he did look like he had a weight advantage though, just to be fair to other fighters.

I had to laugh when that kung Fu guy did the flying kick. I'll bet he actually thought that would be the strongest kick. Someone needs to tell him to take a physics class. LOL!

(Message edited by trianglechoke7 on August 23, 2006)
Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Melchor fought at 135lbs and had the most powerful strike on the show...http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21357/29116.jpg
Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
He is a good trainer as well. Taken a few classes with him and one of my guys was trained by him and fought a few pro fights under him.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
Neal, I agree. The boxer seemed to have great technique, but he outweighed the other strikers by a good bit. The kung fu guy was getting no love whatsoever. Even the narrator said his stuff would look good in the movies, but pretty much a weak kick.

What did you guys think about the researchers confirming the Ninja guy's "death punch" (the actual name escapes me) as realistic? BS?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:
I've heard of people being killed by taking a basball to the chest, so I suppose its possible.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #10
Michael McMahon

Profile:
It is possible, it has to do with when the strike is delivered. Basically a strong blow to the chest wall especially the left side during the period between heart beats can cause a fatal dysrythmia. You hear about it in HS or college sports a few times a year usually a baseball or lacrosse ball hitting a kids chest.