CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
Shay Coleman

Profile:
The 1 person class

I recently started a Garage box, (currently unaffiliated until finances allow) and I was able to pull in 5 fulltime members, unfortunately they all like the 5:30am class.

The good news is that I picked up another member based on the results seen by a friend in current members. So I'm adding a 9am class. The problem is that I will only have one person in this class. I had trained a member when he was the only one in the evening class but he has started going to the 5:30am class because he doesn't like training alone.

Any advice on how to run a class with only one person and make it not suck for them.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Keith Martin

Profile:
Re: The 1 person class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay Coleman View Post
I recently started a Garage box, (currently unaffiliated until finances allow) and I was able to pull in 5 fulltime members, unfortunately they all like the 5:30am class.

The good news is that I picked up another member based on the results seen by a friend in current members. So I'm adding a 9am class. The problem is that I will only have one person in this class. I had trained a member when he was the only one in the evening class but he has started going to the 5:30am class because he doesn't like training alone.

Any advice on how to run a class with only one person and make it not suck for them.
Depending on level, I would consider working out with them. When I used to have 1 person, I would workout with them and they appreciated it. However, my times and performance was second to theirs but it's an option.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Mike Doehla

Profile:

This happens to me at times. It becomes a workout/therapy session. It's not bad though. We bs for a while, train, and they get a little extra attention. Take a little extra time and show them some things they may have trouble with. They may not be getting the CF experience but they're getting personal training for a fraction of what it costs in a big gym.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay Coleman View Post
Help them become a better athlete. You have a unique opportunity when compared with the group classes - you can devote your attention to really identifying specific areas that they need to work on and implementing corrective exercise and form management. Turn them into a rockstar that gets terrific results and pretty soon they'll have a friend(s) that wants to come, etc. Great chance for you to really learn which cues work and why and to sharpen your toolbox. It's much easier to get away with sloppy coaching when you have a group than when there's one person who commands your attention.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
David Osorio

Profile:

I agree with Josh. You can still run your planned programming but you've got opportunity to teach the lucky athlete a lot about what they specifically should be doing to warm-up, what they need work to get better on and basically give them a great value for the hour. Building sticky members means putting in the work to provide an exceptional experience, regardless of how many people show up.

The experience won't suck for them because no one else is there, it might even end up being one of their favorite experiences as your gym.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Brian Diez

Profile:

You need to let him know that a 1-on-1 is really a great thing.

Start advertising personal training for $100 an hour, then he'll get it.