CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Shay Coleman

Profile:
The Garage Gym, and the stay at home Dad

Hi, I've been a long time viewer of the board, but this is the first time I've posted a question.

As a stay at home dad I was thinking of opening up my crossfit outfitted garage gym to personal training services, essentially crossfit classes.

I apprenticed under a pro Crossfit coach, and a games competitor for over a year before getting my L1, and I'm still working with that coach on programming and methodology for getting results.

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to offer my services, I'm putting up a website, but I'm not sure what to charge, I was thinking of offering 60 for unlimited training since I'm in a garage. But on the board here I'm seeing $150 as common?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Mike Doehla

Profile:
Re: The Garage Gym, and the stay at home Dad

Few things.

Are you going to sell CF? If so you need to affiliate and pay 3k per year.

If not, you can say you're a Cf level 1 Trainer but can't tell people you teach CF. It kind of goes without saying though.

If you're doing $60 unlimited you need to think about how many people you can handle. What if you get 12 people to sign up quickly. Can you handle 3-6 people at a time?

I juggled with this exact issue a few months back. I was going to do NASM and train for fun a few hours a week then said what the heck, I love CF and train in that style so why not throw some money into it and start a business out of it and share what I love. I now have enough equipment for 6 people classes and am approved for affiliation and waiting my name approval.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Shay Coleman

Profile:

I'm not able to affiliate until I can get into a brick and mortar space, and that'll be some time. So I won't be using the Crossfit brand.

I've determined I can handle four adult men if doing barbell work with each on a bar, and 8 men if doing met-con work. The other day I ran a WOD with 4 guys, Doing Pendelay rows, push-ups, and box jumps, and each guy had their own bar, and I had 2 Plyo boxes on the floor and everyone had plenty of room. So I'm feeling confident about the space.

I'm mostly concerned with advertising and cost. Whether to advertise as "personal training" or "group training"

Did you have any trouble convincing people to work out in a garage. (mine looks like a gym now)
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Joseph Morgenstern

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay Coleman View Post
I'm not able to affiliate until I can get into a brick and mortar space, and that'll be some time. So I won't be using the Crossfit brand.

I've determined I can handle four adult men if doing barbell work with each on a bar, and 8 men if doing met-con work. The other day I ran a WOD with 4 guys, Doing Pendelay rows, push-ups, and box jumps, and each guy had their own bar, and I had 2 Plyo boxes on the floor and everyone had plenty of room. So I'm feeling confident about the space.

I'm mostly concerned with advertising and cost. Whether to advertise as "personal training" or "group training"

Did you have any trouble convincing people to work out in a garage. (mine looks like a gym now)
Why not advertise both? As far as group training goes, you'll have your peak hours. Have the classes at that 6-8AM and 6-8 PM, well at least that was the peak hours for my previous gym. That will give you a chance to add some personal training sessions in at whatever time is beneficial to the clients that want it.

Having to convince people to workout at a home garage shouldn't be too difficult. You'll just have to change who your clientele is. There are many people that give me the answer of "I don't feel comfortable in a gym yet." or "I won't know what I'm doing and people will make fun of me." Try to think of ways to market to those people and take that route.

Truth is, you can't have many members seeing as your max capacity is around 4-7 depending on the day. I'd say a good start would be offering one or two classes in the morning, followed by an evening class around 6:30 or so. You could probably charge at least $100 monthly memberships, seeing as if you would do $60, you may get an overflooding of people. Maybe even do group packages. See if you can offer personal training to those who "want to go to the gym but aren't ready".

Best of luck!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Shay Coleman

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback, everything you guys are saying are things I'm thinking about so it's good to know I'm on the right track.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay Coleman View Post

Why can't you affiliate then? So far I haven't had a problem but who knows with strangers. Most people ready to join are friends and their friends.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Shay Coleman

Profile:

We just don't have the finances to afford affiliation.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Adam Morden

Profile:

From the trainers I have seen and worked with as they started - most (myself included) really learned a lot from doing 1 on 1 training when they first started out. It lets you focus all your attention on what one person is doing and as you get better and faster at picking up what and why they are moving certain ways you can progress to small group training. You can start off that way to, but I think you'll develop into a more well rounded trainer if you have some 1 on 1 background.

As far as pricing for group training goes - try working backwards. say you need 2k a month in income, and can handle 6 people at a time and have time to run 3 classes a day and most people come 3x a week that would mean you would need to charge at least $56 per person (assuming 36 members) since it is unlikely you will be able to get people coming at perfectly balanced times and that you will have some quieter classes etc say you have 25 members then you would need to charge at least $80 each to make your goal income. 2k per month is not much for the amount of work involved in running a box out of your house and running 3 classes a day 6-7 days a week. You might want to shoot a little higher too - so if you wanted to make 2k but only run 2 classes a day 5 days a week you probably would have trouble handling much more than 15 members so then you would want to charge closer to $133 each. but the more you charge - the more they will probably expect (ie class times, equipment, etc).