CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Scott Baynton

Profile:
Any info on recovery from mild rhabdo?

Yesterday I think I ended up rupturing a muscle in my back from a combination of deadlifts, rowing, kettlebell swings and kip ups. The WOD was a 500m row, 21 kbs and 12 pullups, and in the first round, on my second pullup I felt my back "tweak" so I decided to just call it for the day.

Then I tried to investigate the pain through stretching and poking around in my back, but was surprised to find that I couldn't locate a pulled muscle or anything else obvious. The pain was completely gone. Eight hours later I had musky brown urine (not full blown coca-cola, more like asparagus pee), so I made sure to hydrate well and ensure that I was taking in salt as well to prevent hyponatremia.

I'm wondering if anyone knows about recovery times for mild rhabdo like mine. All I can seem to find is about the severe crippling cases, whereas mine is more like the kind that is often seen in US marine bootcampers triathletes. Does anybody have any information on the timeline of recovery for mild muscle rupture?

On another note, as a soon-to-be crossfit instructor this reminds me about how important it is to teach people to listen to their bodies. If I had ignored the feeling in my back and pushed through the WOD, I would probably be in the hospital right now.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Any info on recovery from mild rhabdo?

It really depends on how bad it is. It's pretty hard to tell without testing but you should probably expect to take it easy for at least 3-4 weeks...

Focus on other weaknesses at the moment, and avoid anything but mobility and light work to the injured area.

WOrking your way back in is like recovery from any injury you want to go slow and methodical... not jump back into any high intensity anytime soon.

Some more info on "how" rhabdo is here wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...habdomyolysis/
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Scott Baynton

Profile:
Re: Any info on recovery from mild rhabdo?

Thanks!