CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Katie "KD" Davenport

Profile:
Why don't fish oil calories "count"?

I've read quite frequently that fish oil intake does not "count" towards your total fat intake; yet people take olive oil shots to increase their caloric intake. My fish oil bottle says each teaspoon contains 40 calories; if I take the 9 or so teaspoons prescribed by Whole9 then that would seem to really add up, especially for a small person for whom 360 calories is a good percentage of total intake.

I seem to be losing weight anyway; I'm not complaining. I'm just curious--what happens to those calories? Where do they go? Don't be afraid to get science-y on me here.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Re: Why don't fish oil calories "count"?

I can't help you out, unfortunately, but I was unaware that they didn't count. I take fish oil but I didn't even know it had enough calories to make them worth counting so I had never even given it any thought when adding up my calories for the day.

I would be interested in hearing the reason as well as I cannot think of any.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Scott A Martin

Profile:

They count.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Count? Count for what?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Fish oil is fat. Why wouldn't it count???
Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Mike Kelley

Profile:

yeah, each gram is about 9 calories

for some people on here who take a lot (10+) that's almost 100 calories

they def. count
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

100 calories in a 3-5 k diet doesn't count much. Even if you are eating say 2k, thats still less than 5% of your total calroies. SO yeah, they count, but not much.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

they count but they don't REALLY count so don't count them unless counting REALLY counts in the grand scheme of things.... and if you do count them, make sure you do it like this:

Von fish oil.... two fish oil... three fish oil.... THREE FISH OIL, AHH AHH AHHH!!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Davenport View Post
I've read quite frequently that fish oil intake does not "count" towards your total fat intake; yet people take olive oil shots to increase their caloric intake. My fish oil bottle says each teaspoon contains 40 calories; if I take the 9 or so teaspoons prescribed by Whole9 then that would seem to really add up, especially for a small person for whom 360 calories is a good percentage of total intake.

I seem to be losing weight anyway; I'm not complaining. I'm just curious--what happens to those calories? Where do they go? Don't be afraid to get science-y on me here.
Your body will use what it needs then store what it has no immediate use for in adipose tissue.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
Renee Lee

Profile:

I don't have the science, but I have the general explanation:

The difference between fish oil shots and olive oil shots is their intent. People that take olive oil shots are trying to increase their daily intake above and beyond what they can reasonably eat in a day to support maximum mass gain, and they need the excess calories to get the most from their workouts. People taking fish oil want it for the anti inflammatory properties, not the energy from the calories.

If my BMR is 2000 and i eat 1900 of food and 100 cal of fish oil, i'm wasting the 100 cal of fish oil on fuel, not its anti inflammatory props. If i eat 2000 and don't "count" my fish oil calories, it's not going to make a big difference total calorie wise, but WILL make a difference inflammation wise.

I don't know why it can't do both, but judging from Darryl's response (*gasp* a paleo supporter actually finds one of his posts helpful?! what is this board coming to?!!!) I assume that its "magical" properties only get tapped as long as it's not burned and once it's absorbed into your tissues? Don't quote me on that though. I'd ask Robb and/or Steven and/or Scott on Pmenu.