CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Will Kimmins

Profile:
Question Help with hand treatment

Ok, I'm sure this has been talked about MANY times on here but I don't really have the time to sift through the whole message board to find it. I tore my left hand open down to the deep red part of the skin (which was alot of fun to explain to the gym attendant when I asked for disinfectant for the pull up bars I was on) and dealt with some bleeding obviously. I now have two big holes (for lack of a better term) in my hand and although I gave it a couple of days to heal I still see the layers of skin starting to separate when I do pull ups. I can't just blow off pull ups altogether so I need a treatment plan that allows me to keep going without bleeding like a stuck pig. My friend suggested either nuskin or superglue over the trouble spots but I'm thinking that would keep it from healing properly. Lil help here guys?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Justin Lascek

Profile:
Re: Help with hand treatment

You don't have to sift through the board, you can use the search function.

I'll help out though, this is from an old thread:

(Keep in mind Roger is the gymnastics certification coach for CrossFit, thus knows a thing or two about treating callouses)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
Once you rip keep the open area moist for a couple of days. You don't want it to dry out and split. A good sealing lotion or lanolin works well. Once the skin is off, don't try to layer it over. It will adhere, but then you'll have a big lumpy calous that is going to tear off worse at some point. You want deep hard flat calouses.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Will Kimmins

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Help with hand treatment

thanks bro
Old 08-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Jack Turner

Profile:

Ive found ripping the torn skin off immeadiately, then washing it right away. Keep it covered and apply neosporin or carmex (i didnt have anything else but it worked even better) for the first day. The following days keep it clean and apply neosporin or carmex until your good. Carmex works well, esspeacially because it seems to numb it a bit. Which is good if you want to keep training. Tape up for pull ups until its healed and as always good hand maitanence is key. Hope this helps. There are many ways and opinions, this one works for me.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Matt Blankenship

Profile:

I second the carmex treatment. Just keep a tube in your pocket and reapply at least 5 or 6 times a day. I had a pretty bad palm tear and it worked well for me.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Jack Turner

Profile:

Awesome...I did as well not to long ago, Im convinced the carmex is better.