CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Ryan Holmes

Profile:
Post hernia surgery complications.

Going to doctor in an hour 6 days out of surgery, pain in both calves now may be deep vein thrombosis, and swollen testicle could be hydrocele, or testicular atrophy. Super bummed right now. A friend of mine lost his teste to atrophy post hernia surgery.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Post hernia surgery complications.

was there a question here, or are you looking for support?

your painful teste could be the weight of the intestine pushing on the vas or multiple other things.

bilateral dvt are rare, and lethal ... if your walking at all, unlikely.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Mike Howells

Profile:

Sorry to hear that man. Hernia surgery, while common, is no joke. I'm 7 WEEKS out after open inguinal surgery, and while I don't have the severity of symptons you have, It still tugs and gives me trouble from time to time. I walked 3 miles around NYC saturday and I'm still sore from it. Sorry for your troubles - hope the doctor has good news.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Well I wrote that from the dark side...Doc says my legs are not blood clot related, and my testing is probably one big bruise, but if it does turn out to be atrophy, nothing can be done. So at least i don't need to worry.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

see... the internet, gray's anatomy and self diagnosis are usually wrong.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Hey Frank chill, my mom has factor 5 liden and two folks in my life have one nut with the same symptoms i felt leading to the loss if you wanna say I told you so just get it over with and we will call you a hero or something...but you are sounding a bit smug like the Dr. i didn't trust in the first place, .....your occupation is?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

factor v lieden is occurs 1 out of 1000 people, and occurs mostly in women becomes problematic during pregnancy or when on birth control.
Unless your father has it, your chances of having are lowered with each sibling in front of you.

Having bilateral dvts are uncommon, even completely bed ridden people dont get them. If you had one, your leg feels like have having a hot rod implanted in your leg along with the most interesting colour changes along with pin and needles sensation when walking.

If your teste was that bothersome, why didnt you present yourself to the nearest ER ,where they would have ruled out numerous testicular threatening issues, along with your anxiety and concerns? The moment you had teste pain, you should have been lying on ER gurney waiting for a ultrasound, given that atrophy is operative complication of the surgery you had.
Two people... they lost them due to infection or trauma?

Now did I say I told you so? No.. just that alot of worry and unnecessary stress are caused by those things that I said, web, tv and the very person themself. Last year I had a guy who was convinced he had schistomiosis because he had fever and pain in right side. I asked when was he in africa? never there, when was he in SE asia... never there.. I asked if he ever went swimming in any river outside of the usa. NOPe.. I told him that he didnt have schistomiosis with 100 percent accuracy. He refused to accept that because his symptoms were the same as a guy on..... some tv show.
Turned out it was Gall stones, and it was the carl's jr 6 dollar burger that caused him pain. Not a worm that lives in the nile or mekong river.

The first thing that most season nurse teach first and second year medical residents... "hear horse hooves.. don't think zebras"

I am sorry if you were looking for a group hug thing with your post... I dont hand them out often.

Last edited by Frank E Morel; 05-28-2008 at 10:22 PM..
Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Robert Pierce

Profile:

I feel obliged to clear up the following...

Factor V Leiden does not mostly occur in women. It occurs in about 3-5% of people in North America, but varies by ancestry. The mutation is equally distributed between men and women. Women are more likely to become symptomatic as a result of pregnancies and OCP use.

DVT is very frequently asymptomatic. Probably no more than 1/2 of persons have obvious clinical signs...more often they are quite subtle. Ryan, you are right to be concerned about DVT if you had postop calf pain.

And I think Frank means to say schistosomiasis.

Last edited by Robert Pierce; 05-29-2008 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Mike Howells

Profile:

During my op they wrapped both legs in compression stockings that simulated muscle movement to keep down the risk of clotting. I also got a nice painful shot of heparin to minimize coagulation.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Frank...you have proven your own point to yourself, I hope you feel better. I did go to the ER they did Ultrasound on the deep veins in my thighs and pelvis and informed me that I would still have a clot in the lower legs but that those didn't normally lead due pulmonary embolism, and that the test for further down in the legs was invasive(veinogram). When my other calf started hurting just like the other i called the doc to see, they asked all the questions about heat and discoloration and such. Told me to come in and check for DVT. Here is the deal Frank I didn't want a group hug nor did I need one, but I did post hoping that someone had some experience or support, I should have been more direct, and am fine hearing that. You in my humble opinion should worry less about being right all the time and focus more on bringing some value to others, it makes you sound like a bit of an A hole and I am sure you arn't nor want to be taken that way. If you want to hear more about my worry research and decision making process then I suggest we take it elsewhere, PM me if you like. The teste loss was post hernia op atrophy deemed normal swelling by the doc that led to loss, and cancer in the other. One has about four hours to catch that I am told my the excellent Urologist whom had a great way of explaining the details patiently to me thus alleviating my fears instead of creating MD v. Patient, Know v. doesnt know i am sure you can get what I am saying.