CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Amy Allan

Profile:
Do I have a mild case of Rhabdo?

I've been a religious crossfitter for the last 3+ months. I've been trying to lose weight with the Zone and am able to do most workouts with some scaling. Last week I did the glute-ham sit-up workout without scale. My first two days of recovery were not as bad as my third. On Sunday I couldn't even stand up straight without being in awful pain in my abs. Two days later after trying to get back to my workouts and still having sore abs, I noticed a lot of swelling/water retention in the front of my waist and below around my bladder area. The swelling hasn't gone down and is slowing increasing. I see my doc tomorrow, but he probably does not know what Rhabdo is. Can anyone help who knows more about this? Could this swelling be from rhabdo?

Last edited by Amy Allan; 04-10-2008 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
JT

Profile:

Re: Do I have a mild case of Rhabado?

In order for it to be rhabdo, you would have your pee look like Coke. And assuming that it hasn't then no you dont have rhabdo. You may have DOMS though. Go to the doc, get it checked out. Also you have to make sure you scale GH situps because they can really mess you up if you are unprepared for them. Next time make sure you scale.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Do I have a mild case of Rhabdo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Allan View Post
I've been a religious crossfitter for the last 3+ months. I've been trying to lose weight with the Zone and am able to do most workouts with some scaling. Last week I did the glute-ham sit-up workout without scale. My first two days of recovery were not as bad as my third. On Sunday I couldn't even stand up straight without being in awful pain in my abs. Two days later after trying to get back to my workouts and still having sore abs, I noticed a lot of swelling/water retention in the front of my waist and below around my bladder area. The swelling hasn't gone down and is slowing increasing. I see my doc tomorrow, but he probably does not know what Rhabdo is. Can anyone help who knows more about this? Could this swelling be from rhabdo?
You most certainly could have Rhabdo and visit to Doc tomorrow is a great idea as he could / should send you for a blood test. Google Rhabdo, print out, take to Doc.

My friend suffered a case last month, same symptoms, only reason doc had heard of it was a Tri athlete was in the previous summer.
My buddy had his blood check, (CKT"s?) should have been in the 300 500 range, doc said that after a hard workout, in the 10,000 range, my buddies was 100,000. They kept him three days in hospital on IV's flushing out the system. While it might be DOMS, it might not.

BTW, rehab is a *****. My buddy can't do more then 1-2 pull ups (that's what tweaked him), push ups are a joke and he still feels pretty week. Rehab for this is 3-6 months.

Good luck, report back what doc says, but please do take some literature in to him. Much stuff on web.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Tanner View Post
In order for it to be rhabdo, you would have your pee look like Coke. And assuming that it hasn't then no you dont have rhabdo. You may have DOMS though. Go to the doc, get it checked out. Also you have to make sure you scale GH situps because they can really mess you up if you are unprepared for them. Next time make sure you scale.
You don't necessarily have to pee brown to have some form of rhabdo. Sometimes the kidneys can handle the myoglobin without massively excreting it into the bladder and out of hte body.

It does sound like rhabdo... should get that checked out like Jay said.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Probably more likely that you just shredded your abs with the GHD situps. Literally.

It happens to people new to the movement who go all out.

Still wouldn't hurt to get checked out.

//Not medical advice, etc, see your doctor for that, I'm just some guy on the internet.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Amy Allan

Profile:

Well, talked to my doc today and the verdict is I did/do have a case of rhabdo, although he does not think it is critical at this time.

In my original post I did forget to mention that this past weekend, before the swelling started, I did have very dark colored urine for several days. I thought I was just dehydrated. I had never heard of rhabdo until my buddy told me about it yesturday. Wish I would have know about it this past weekend, oh well.

The doc sent me for blood work and said that he believes that my case of rhabdo will resolve itself. He just wants me to go easy on the CF workouts for a little while.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Quote:
I did have very dark colored urine for several days.
That would have changed my above non-medical advice.

Also, if you thought you were dehydrated, you probably drank a lot of water, which is the best thing you could do, short of going to the doctor for IV fluids and monitoring. If it happens again go to the doctor earlier(rhabdo can be very serious).

If you don't mind, what was your CK when you finally got it checked?
Old 04-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
Chad Skola

Profile:

I hope your recover goes well. It does not sound pleasant at all. You will be back to WODs in no time.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Allan View Post
Well, talked to my doc today and the verdict is I did/do have a case of rhabdo, although he does not think it is critical at this time.

In my original post I did forget to mention that this past weekend, before the swelling started, I did have very dark colored urine for several days. I thought I was just dehydrated. I had never heard of rhabdo until my buddy told me about it yesturday. Wish I would have know about it this past weekend, oh well.

The doc sent me for blood work and said that he believes that my case of rhabdo will resolve itself. He just wants me to go easy on the CF workouts for a little while.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Bummer, surprised he did not put you on IV for awhile. As Andy asked, please post your numbers and if you care to, do some more research, as Rhado is NOT to be taken lightly and even if you think you're feeling better, you have over taxed your "system, i.e, tissues, kidneys(yum) and other organs, so go easy on recovery, or you will have issues.

My buddy's arms are still toast and he still feels weak, though he's getting better everyday.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Yeah, what Jay said...rhabdo is not just a bad case of sore muscles....please read up on it and take it very, very easy coming back. You can get it again if you put too great a strain on your already-damaged muscles and overworked kidneys.

Susie