CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Jeremy Gilman

Profile:
Elastic Band and Bodyweight Routine

Does anyone have any sort of organized portable workouts that involve Crossfit elements? I'm being sent to Vietnam jungles/mountains for 2 months for a mission and I am planning on how I can workout and eat while I am there. I know I will be losing a great amount of strength/muscle, so I am trying to salvage what I have now. There is no workout equipment at all there at the campsite I will be at, so I would have to start getting creative.

So far I plan on getting some elastic bands and some pushup bars, maybe a kettleball if my storage bin allows it. All my workouts will obviously have to be based on endurance since I won't have the luxury of heavy weights.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Rick Frazier

Profile:
Re: Elastic Band and Bodyweight Routine

Jeremy,

If you search the WOD archives (on the main page, towards the bottom in the right hand column), you will find plenty of WODs that are body weight only (bwo), or with some slight modifications, can be made into bwo WODs.

Examples include:

May 31, 2003
For twenty minutes:
7 jump rope double unders
7 pull-ups
7 push-ups

or

January 18, 2004
For time:
75 Sit-ups
150 Squats
75 Sit-ups

My suggestion is to go through and capture all the WODs that think you could do with your limited amount of equipment. If space and weight are an issue, then the minimum equipment I would bring: rings, bands and jump rope. If you can squeeze a pair of dumbbells or a kettlebell, then add them as well.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Look up gymnastics progressions. Pistols, one-arm pushups, ring work, handstands etc. Gymnasts have amazing strength-to-weight ratios and it wouldn't take a whole lot of work.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Michael Thornton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Gilman View Post
Does anyone have any sort of organized portable workouts that involve Crossfit elements? I'm being sent to Vietnam jungles/mountains for 2 months for a mission and I am planning on how I can workout and eat while I am there. I know I will be losing a great amount of strength/muscle, so I am trying to salvage what I have now. There is no workout equipment at all there at the campsite I will be at, so I would have to start getting creative.

So far I plan on getting some elastic bands and some pushup bars, maybe a kettleball if my storage bin allows it. All my workouts will obviously have to be based on endurance since I won't have the luxury of heavy weights.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html (wfs)
Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

+rings & parallettes
+never gymless

There's tons of bodyweight stuff you can do that will keep you strong and fit. Most gymnasts don't train much if at all with weights either and you can emulate most of it with just a pair of rings, parallettes, and maybe a box.

Never gymless will be good for ideas although you COULD do without if you searched around a bit and found good progressions.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Check out Eva T.'s blog at http://skievat.blogspot.com (wfs). She posts an equipment-free WOD fairly regularly, and when combined with the previously mentioned ring work, you may come out fitter than ever.

One more thing - you're in a jungle/mountain environment, right? Don't forget to simply look around for heavy objects to push, drag, lift, carry, and throw. Rocks. Logs. Humans. All excellent tools for functional strength.

So, as you said, be creative. And you will get the biggest bang for dollar with the rings.

Last edited by Stephen Flamm; 03-27-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Jeremy Gilman

Profile:

Thank you very much guys. Appreciate all the feedback so far.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Kelly Moore

Profile:

How about a nempty sandbag or duffle? You can fill it to make a great training tool for all kinds of lifts and throws. It's also great for maintaining "honest" burpees - jumping laterally over a filled bag gives you immediate feedback regarding the quality of your jump
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Jeremy Gilman

Profile:

Will note that, please keep the feedback coming.