CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Ben Bundy

Profile:
Is it o.k to do the CFWU everyday? Isn't my body going to adapt to this...should I make any changes?
Old 11-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
ben, the warm up is generally just that a warm up, for people just starting crossfit it seems like a workout but you just have to scale it back a little. if you want to change it up try to keep the same mix of exercises push/dip, pull/pull-ups, squat/OHS, front of trunk/sit-ups, back of trunk/back extensions streching/samson. instead of dips do pushups at varying angles, instead of pull-ups do body rows, sub leg-raise for situps, good mornings for back extensions etc.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Burgener WU: builds skills and loosens shoulders too. If you want to snatch well, I'd suggest it.

Try throwing in some muscle-ups and maybe kip-ups.

Work on your HSPUs instead of always doing dips.

Try glute-ham-raise hip extensions instead of hypers... or do good mornings with a Dynamax ball.

Oh, and try working on front and back levers, too.

Preface it all with a good hard 500m row...

These things worked great for my wife and myself. Maybe they'll work well for you, too.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
David Vessey

Profile:
Personally a fan of the CF WU.

Especially fun when people see you doing it, ask you what kind of workout you're doing, and you say you're just warming up ;)
Old 11-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
Charles Applin

Profile:
Here's my take on the CFWU. Start at 5 reps, add a rep a week. When the WOD calls for something you'd do during the CFWU, I'd sub either run 200m or do 75 jump ropes in the mix.

On the overhead squat portion, the first round I instead do the Burgener Warm-up then do OH squats the next two rounds.

For the samson stretch, I do 6 reps of 5 seconds each to get a bit more training in the quads on that motion. I remember how much it hurt doing 55m lunges, so this is a personal choice that hasn't been tested to see effectiveness. The parkour website also does this in their wu.

Now that I'm upto 15 reps, I altering my pull-ups and dips portion to be either A) pull-ups and dips B) ring or bar rows and ring or bar push-ups C) dumbbell highpulls and dumbbell presses. In time, I'd substitute "A" with 5 to 15 muscle-ups and "C" with upside down dip rows and handstand pushups. I'm going off the idea that Coach wants us to train all 180 degrees of shoulder motion, so why not work that into the CFWU?

In addition, I'll be training my handstands during the CFWU. One of the journals recommended this on your non-press days.

Finally, as I believe in measuring most things, I time my CFWU and rest time prior to starting the WOD and post it on the main page.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Blaine Johnson

Profile:
What exactly is the cfwu? I get that there are a # of variations but if I could only do one, what would it be?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
David Easton

Profile:
From the FAQ on the main page

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General7

The "official" CrossFit Warm-up is in the April 2003 CrossFit Journal.

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip
Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Ben, I started doing a highly scaled version of the CFWU last January before every work-out, so 5x/week. Could do exactly one pull-up so used jumping and gravitron for warm-up. I now do 10 unassisted pull-ups each round in my warm-up. Yes, go ahead and do some version of the WU before each work-out, if for no other reason than to grease the groove on the movements. Good Luck!!