CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Eleazer Espinosa

Profile:
Jump Rope Recommendations?

Hello all. In the market for a decent jump rope to use for crossfit routines. I used to have a leather one, but it kinda dried out and has all kinds of bends in them. Any suggestions in type, brands and proper length?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Aric De Jager

Profile:
Re: Jump Rope Recommendations?

AgainFaster makes a nice rope with a thin plastic coated cable, and it is adjustable. $25 @http://www.againfaster.com/jump-ropes/. I think these would be easy to make with some simple materials from a hardware store if you like to build your own equipment

you can take the handles from the leather jumprope and buy plastic coated cable and do it that way too.

good luck
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Andy Gann

Profile:

+1 Revolution rope.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Michael Smallwood

Profile:

Been very happy with my RX jump rope, http://rxjumpropes.intuitwebsites.com (wfs). If you don't have double unders yet do go with the heavier cable. It really does help to be able to feel the weight of the cable. Rouge Fitness is coming out with a new one soon that's going to be super sweet if you can wait.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smallwood View Post
Rouge Fitness is coming out with a new one soon that's going to be super sweet if you can wait.
It seems like an exact replica of the Ultra Speed Cable rope which they already sell, made in America, and with the "Spealer" molded into the handle. My entire home gym's outfitted in their gear, so this isn't a critique. Are there any functional differences that make it a better rope?

http://www.roguefitness.com/ultra-sp...jump-ropes.php (wfs)
Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Ron Murray

Profile:

another vote for the Revolution rope from AF.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Michael Smallwood

Profile:

I think Rouge's new rope will be an improvement. They are usually pretty receptive to suggestions and I know they had tons of response when they asked for ideas. I guess we won't know till they actually release it. I think it will be similar to the RX with a longer handle. At least that's what I would like to see.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Chris Flower

Profile:

I've tried quite a few of them and recommend the generic Ultra Speed Cable. The RX'ed rope is also a great rope and you can change the cable weight and length with ease (assuming you have another cable).
Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smallwood View Post
I think it will be similar to the RX with a longer handle. At least that's what I would like to see.
That would be really cool!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

My first rope was a Buddy Lee speed rope, which has a hollow rubber rope, adjustable only by cutting.

Pros: Once cut to fit, never worry about the rope slipping out. Joints were very fast.
Cons: The rubber cable is a bit heavy for competition-speed double unders, and if used on concrete/outdoors, the cable is more likely to wear out and snap (mine did). Replacing the cable is easy.

My current rope is the Ultra Speed from Rogue. It has a wire cable, and if you leave a little slack, it can be adjusted with a screw driver for multiple people to use.

Pros: VERY FAST. Rope has been known to bend time and space. Extremely lightweight.
Cons: Very fast cable hurts when you miss, alot. Because it is so light, it takes a little bit of time to "learn" how to swing it (since there is little to no proprioceptive feedback). I've heard that concrete/outdoors use will also shorten the lifespan of the cable, but have no encountered that problem yet. Also, if you leave too much additional slack out the free end, the dangling rope will change the shape of your swing and make it extremely difficult to piece together DU's. I've got about 4 inches dangling and don't have an issue.

Opinion: I like the Ultra Speed more because it allows much faster swings with far less effort, once you learn the rhythym. For a gym, I'd have mostly the thicker ropes (for ease of use) with wire ropes available for your advanced double-under-ers.

Bias: I love Rogue Fitness, and think Bill's got a great business that deserves supporting over there.