CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #761
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Beach Murph? They did something like that in 2011.

I'm guessing it will be straight up Murph, or with a weight vest, in the stadium on Wednesday night.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #762
Beth Martino

Profile:

I'm curious to see if they're going to let them break up the middle section any way they want or have a defined scheme the athletes have to follow. Considering how regimented they've been with the numbered mats and "do this number of reps here and then advance to the next section and do that number of reps" etc. so that the crowd can see who's ahead, it seems like it would be a nightmare to try to follow otherwise.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 AM   #763
Tim Alford

Profile:

What about a double Murph? I can definitely see having to wear a vest, possibly an even heavier than the standard 20 lbs. vest?

Beth, I think they'll mandate how they can do the reps, instead of letting them partition however they want...that would be crazy to watch!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #764
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

where was Murph posted? Could not find it on the website.. maybe swimming murph.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #765
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
where was Murph posted? Could not find it on the website.. maybe swimming murph.
just a small blurb on the games site linking to post on instagram

(wfs) http://games.crossfit.com/announceme...ent-2015-games
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #766
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Guess its a Beach Murph.. cool.. love the brutal workouts.. hope the vests come out also.. wonder if it will be swim XX distance then run.. cindy.. run.. ?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #767
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
Guess its a Beach Murph.. cool.. love the brutal workouts.. hope the vests come out also.. wonder if it will be swim XX distance then run.. cindy.. run.. ?
Just because Murph is the first *announced* workout does not mean it will be the *first* workout. It might be Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I suppose they could try it on the beach, which I think would be cool - replace the runs with swims of equal (or greater) difficulty. Why I doubt its gonna happen is just the logistics of the rig. Rogue is already putting their massive rig in the stadium. Will they supply a separate rig for the beach Murph, and figure out how to put it on the beach so its stable enough for 80+ athletes at once (the past beach workouts have all been one giant heat)? Or set their rig up on the beach, run Murph in heats, then take the rig down Wednesday night, set it up in the stadium on Thursday so its ready to go Friday? I'm not suggesting either is impossible, just that neither is likely. Also, where does the weight vest come into play? Rx Murph involves a weight vest. Do they put it on after the first swim, and take it off before the second?

Just food for thought.

Last edited by Miles Roberts; 07-07-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #768
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Just because Murph is the first *announced* workout does not mean it will be the *first* workout. It might be Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I suppose they could try it on the beach, which I think would be cool - replace the runs with swims of equal (or greater) difficulty. Why I doubt its gonna happen is just the logistics of the rig. Rogue is already putting their massive rig in the stadium. Will they supply a separate rig for the beach Murph, and figure out how to put it on the beach so its stable enough for 80+ athletes at once (the past beach workouts have all been one giant heat)? Or set their rig up on the beach, run Murph in heats, then take the rig down Wednesday night, set it up in the stadium on Thursday so its ready to go Friday? I'm not suggesting either is impossible, just that neither is likely. Also, where does the weight vest come into play? Rx Murph involves a weight vest. Do they put it on after the first swim, and take it off before the second?

Just food for thought.
That's the problem. When you start replacing one movement with another it isn't murph anymore.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #769
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Will they supply a separate rig for the beach Murph, and figure out how to put it on the beach so its stable enough for 80+ athletes at once (the past beach workouts have all been one giant heat)?
Allow me to introduce you to Event 1, from 2011:

BEACH (100 POINTS)

For time:
210 meter Ocean swim
1,500 meter Soft-sand run
50 Chest-to-bar pull-ups
100 Hand-release push-ups
200 Squats
1,500 meter Soft-sand run

It was run it two heats, one male and one female.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #770
Miles Roberts

Profile:

I stand corrected