CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Adam Fisk

Profile:
Paleo and stomach acid

I've been doing strict paleo for the last three months and recently had an abdominal "attack". Had blood work and ultrasound done and everything came back pristine. My GI Dr. believes it to be really intense gas pains. Anyway, the pain has subsided and I feel great now but it got me researching.

I came across a statement saying that paleo can leave people with higher levels of stomach acid because of their lack of grain consumption. I guess the grains would act as a sponge and "absorb" some stomach acid. Can consistently following paleo make you more prone to developing ulcers or increasing acid reflux?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Paleo and stomach acid

I am not sure about the ulcers and acid reflux but I had constant GI issues when I was on a strict paleo diet that have now gone away since switching to a conventional diet. YMMV.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I've actually heard that getting away from grains can ease GERD and acid reflux.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

A lot of the recent Robb Wolf podcasts have been talking about intestinal issues / GI tract / gut health. As they relate to low carb diets pruning the gut flora causing issues, and then needing to feed the gut with various carb sources. (not just solely resistive starch or fiber either - still need variety). Also if we already have issues, like bacteria overgrowth, then ptentially, we can't fix with diet alone as the bad bacteria eats the good bacteria's food. He's had 2-3 guests on that all talk about this from different angles.
It's interesting stuff. To my ears, it is tying together some of this anecdotal stuff that we hear flying around about carbs and ****. (two meanings). Not sure where to go from here - there's still a lot of loose ends. There's a wealth of information that needs to be ..... wait for it ..... digested first.
Could be worth looking up and make your own conclusions.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
Tommy A Miller

Profile:

grains absolutely obliterate my stomach, I go months at a time and have no problems whatsoever then eat a couple of crackers and I end up acid reflux.