CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Strange shoulder tweak

I'm just busting your balls. I know what you meant. Typically we tell people that most therapists look at their job as to get patients back to being the typically American. Overweight and out of shape. That's not hard to do. Getting them back to how they were prior to, and sometimes even stronger should be the goal.

I went to Steven Wirth after knee surgery in the mid 90's when I lived on LI. He worked with many pro teams Jets, Giants, Islanders. If you're in Levittown, they have a place on Hempstead Tpke.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fisk View Post
I did not intend to sound arrogant in my statement. I was merely referring to fact that some physical therapy clinics are not capable of handling certain clientele and are only designed for elderly, children, etc. I was just restating what my Doctor had suggested.

Thank you for the link.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I'm just busting your balls. I know what you meant. Typically we tell people that most therapists look at their job as to get patients back to being the typically American. Overweight and out of shape. That's not hard to do. Getting them back to how they were prior to, and sometimes even stronger should be the goal.

I went to Steven Wirth after knee surgery in the mid 90's when I lived on LI. He worked with many pro teams Jets, Giants, Islanders. If you're in Levittown, they have a place on Hempstead Tpke.

Good luck.
Thank you, Brian.

I know exactly where that facility is. I used to drive past in all the time.

I did however manage to get an appointment with a friend who is a PT from my box. Depending on how serious my situation is I will definitely give him a shot.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
I am impressed, Daniel.

I briefly went through your articles and listened to your podcast. Were there any tips involving rehabilitation for this? Also, this may be a long shot but I had signed up for a competition on January 26. Is it possible for me to recover by then?

Thanks for your concern and input.
I'd probably nix the competition. I know it sucks but if you've got an injury your number 1 priority should be to let it heal. Having that competition is a lot of pressure to push through the rehab process faster then your body can handle and make the injury worse.

Like Brian said, getting back to being able to do everything you need to do on a daily basis (besides working out) is what most therapists do (in a lot of cases it is all that insurance will allow, don't have therapists too much!)

Getting back to a competitive state is going to take much longer. Think maybe 4 weeks to become pain free in all motions and then another 4-6 weeks to become war ready for a competition.

On top of that, everyone will be different and you might notice that it takes months to get back to performing certain movements pain free. What happens if that movement pops up in a competition? Uh oh! I've seen a few too many friends make this mistake.

Sorry for all the negativity. Let us know how everything progresses!
Dan Pope www.fitnesspainfree.com
Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Hey guys,

So I figured I give a bit of an update.

My left shoulder was feeling better once I completed a third week of PT. The pinch I was feeling was no longer present and I continued to train until 13.5. I noticed the same pinch during the workout and rested a few days after and it went away (thrusters irriate my shoulders). Two weeks ago I did C&J and snatch 1RM. No issues. The next day I woke up in agonizing pain and my left shoulder felt insanely sore (it is a completely different pain than what I was first experiencing). The pain basically starts from the end of my clavical (not on it) and extends all the way down to my bicep tendon. Primarily the anterior part of my shoulder. I couldn't really tell if it was just really sore or if something was wrong so I waited a few days.

Over two weeks I studied my shoulder, discovering what movements bothered it. Basically, internally rotating hurts along with any movement while interally rotated, getting into a high elbows position (elbow at 90 degrees, fist facing the floor, as if I were doing a snatch) is probably the most painful and at times I cant rotate externally bringing my fist and forearm to parallel with the floor. Extermities also hurt. At full reach and pressing give me the same pain (in any direction).

Fast forward to yesterday. It was about two weeks after that morning I woke up with the pain and I took a visit to my sports med doctor. My ROM was above average and didn't really experience much pain while we went through that. Once he started to apply resistance to any sort of pressing I did the pain became immediately present. He pretty much ruled out any tears and an impringement because of my awesome ROM. He told me impingments only really occur with older patients (I forgot the reason why). I wasn't entirely convinced but regardless we moved on. Further examination he noticed that I have a severe case of scapula dyskinesis (both sides). They wing out pretty radically. This is something that I noticed on my own but never really was concerned about it. I haven't really pin-pointed in which positions the wing but I know for a fact its during a movement and reaming still in a certain position. Previously, my understanding of the winging was a way for my scapula to compensate for my poor shoulder stability not a result of.

So that was pretty reassuring. It makes sense. I went in there thinking that I was going to be told nothing was wrong with me which is infuriating because how do you treat nothing? I was just looking to get a PT Rx and hopefully get some advice/assistance from my therapist. Now I am on the search for a PT that help me correct these issues, although I still dont know exaclty what is causing the winging and if correcting that will relieve me of my shoulder pain. I'm trying to be optimistic but at the moment there are too many what if's. I just want to train
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #25
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Two weeks ago I did C&J and snatch 1RM. No issues. The next day I woke up in agonizing pain and my left shoulder felt insanely sore (it is a completely different pain than what I was first experiencing). The pain basically starts from the end of my clavical (not on it) and extends all the way down to my bicep tendon. Primarily the anterior part of my shoulder. I couldn't really tell if it was just really sore or if something was wrong so I waited a few days.

Over two weeks I studied my shoulder, discovering what movements bothered it. Basically, internally rotating hurts along with any movement while interally rotated, getting into a high elbows position (elbow at 90 degrees, fist facing the floor, as if I were doing a snatch) is probably the most painful and at times I cant rotate externally bringing my fist and forearm to parallel with the floor. Extermities also hurt. At full reach and pressing give me the same pain (in any direction).
Hey Adam, I think you might have flared the injury back up by snatching and clean and jerking. 3 weeks of standard PT is not going to progress you to the point where you can tolerate this type of activity.

Once you heal back up again (probably with the same type of rehab) I'd still continue to modify activity heavily. Start LIGHT. You might have to avoid several movements (snatch, overhead work, kipping) for several weeks until everything becomes pain free and strengthens.

People of all ages can have shoulder impingement. It's just that younger individuals don't end up getting a rotator cuff tear because of it. Older individuals typically do. Given that the elbows high and outside position of the snatch gives you pain it still seems you have impingement. This position increases impingement and could bring back all of your symptoms (especially a 1RM)

Try not to get frustrated. I would avoid aggravating exercises completely for now. Once you do re-introduce them they should be pain free. I would make sure your strength is completely up to snuff before you start adding these exercises back into met-cons. You'll probably be sacrificing the speed of your workouts for a while but this is just part of the rehab process (and part of crossfitting in general without pain).

Keep us updated. I've had some impingement problems that took about 6 months to really clear up completely. It's not always as easy as 4-6 weeks of PT. Your shoulders weren't created to snatch, jerk and perform overhead movements heavy 2-3 times per week, although I wish they were.

Dan
Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Pope View Post
Hey Adam, I think you might have flared the injury back up by snatching and clean and jerking. 3 weeks of standard PT is not going to progress you to the point where you can tolerate this type of activity.

Once you heal back up again (probably with the same type of rehab) I'd still continue to modify activity heavily. Start LIGHT. You might have to avoid several movements (snatch, overhead work, kipping) for several weeks until everything becomes pain free and strengthens.

People of all ages can have shoulder impingement. It's just that younger individuals don't end up getting a rotator cuff tear because of it. Older individuals typically do. Given that the elbows high and outside position of the snatch gives you pain it still seems you have impingement. This position increases impingement and could bring back all of your symptoms (especially a 1RM)

Try not to get frustrated. I would avoid aggravating exercises completely for now. Once you do re-introduce them they should be pain free. I would make sure your strength is completely up to snuff before you start adding these exercises back into met-cons. You'll probably be sacrificing the speed of your workouts for a while but this is just part of the rehab process (and part of crossfitting in general without pain).

Keep us updated. I've had some impingement problems that took about 6 months to really clear up completely. It's not always as easy as 4-6 weeks of PT. Your shoulders weren't created to snatch, jerk and perform overhead movements heavy 2-3 times per week, although I wish they were.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I start PT on Wednesday at the facility Brian suggested. Hoping for the best. I really needed some time off anyway. I haven't trained in about 2 weeks and although I feel worthless it's for the best. Just the occasional run until I'm ready to start incorporating movements again.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
Jonathan Foss

Profile:

I'm experiencing what I think is the same type of injury, sustained from 13.5. It isn't really limiting me at all in the gym, just pay the price the next couple of days if I do any heavy shoulder work. Got an appt in July to get it checked out just to make sure there's no real damage.

I've done the shoulder mobility vids posted earlier in this thread the last couple of days and it seems like it's helping.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #28
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Foss View Post
I'm experiencing what I think is the same type of injury, sustained from 13.5. It isn't really limiting me at all in the gym, just pay the price the next couple of days if I do any heavy shoulder work. Got an appt in July to get it checked out just to make sure there's no real damage.

I've done the shoulder mobility vids posted earlier in this thread the last couple of days and it seems like it's helping.
Unfortuantely mobility doesn't really help with my injury. Good luck, man.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Unfortuantely mobility doesn't really help with my injury. Good luck, man.
It's too bad more people cannot realize this fact. If you're doing the correct mobility for a week, and you have not seen some improvement, there is a good chance it's not a mobility problem.