CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Adam Fisk

Profile:
Strange shoulder tweak

A few weeks ago it seemed that I "strained" my left shoulder. After my workout I was resting at home and noticed that when I extended my arm laterally and rotated back and forth from internal to external rotation that I experienced a pain on my (I apologize for my lack of knowledge) front deltoid? just about and inch above my bicep. The pain radiates slightly to my bicep but I also feel dime sized pain on the top of my hand, right between my index finger and my wrist.

The pain is almost like a pinch and I can only really feel it while I am in the motion of raising/lowering my arm, not at the bottom or at the top.

Also, this occured a few weeks ago. I had an xray done and that came up clear. I also iced it, lacrosse balled it and rested it for a few days. On about day 3 the pain completely went away.

Last night I did a lot of snatch work and it came back. Same symptoms only not as intense in pain. I heard a few times that it could be a pinched nerve because of the sensation I get in my hand. I am just hoping it is not any soft tissue damage.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited by Adam Fisk; 01-04-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Stuart Carraway

Profile:
Re: Strange shoulder tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fisk View Post
A few weeks ago it seemed that I "strained" my left shoulder. After my workout I was resting at home and noticed that when I extended my arm laterally and rotated back and forth from internal to external rotation that I experienced a pain on my (I apologize for my lack of knowledge) front deltoid? just about and inch above my bicep. The pain radiates slightly to my bicep but I also feel dime sized pain on the top of my hand, right between my index finger and my wrist.

The pain is almost like a pinch and I can only really feel it while I am in the motion of raising/lowering my arm, not at the bottom or at the top.

Also, this occured a few weeks ago. I had an xray done and that came up clear. I also iced it, lacrosse balled it and rested it for a few days. On about day 3 the pain completely went away.

Last night I did a lot of snatch work and it came back. Same symptoms only not as intense in pain. I heard a few times that it could be a pinched nerve because of the sensation I get in my hand. I am just hoping it is not any soft tissue damage.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Had something of the same nature happen to me. You are going to have to rest it for longer then a few days (like a week or more) and just stick to stretching it and letting it rest. Anything overhead, is going to irritate it every time and you could possilby make it worse. It you went to a doctor and they told you something else, then stick with that. There are some MobilityWODS that are for this problem. Those are going to help a lot.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Carraway View Post
Had something of the same nature happen to me. You are going to have to rest it for longer then a few days (like a week or more) and just stick to stretching it and letting it rest. Anything overhead, is going to irritate it every time and you could possilby make it worse. It you went to a doctor and they told you something else, then stick with that. There are some MobilityWODS that are for this problem. Those are going to help a lot.
Stuart, thanks for the reply and the reassurance. My orthopedist didn't even recommend rest. He told me it was just a bad strain. I definitely think multiple opinions are in order.

As for Mobility, can you possibly recommend techniques that you have used? So far I've been using the lax ball and hitting my upper bicep, parts of trap, lower neck, upper scapular and directly on my deltoid. I have found many tender spots that make it hard to pin point where exactly it is orginating from. What helped me a lot was using a resistance band on a pull up bar, externally rotating the shoulder, driving on the elbow up and contracting and and releasing by leaning into it. This kills but I feel much better afterwards. Not great. But better.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

When treating the shoulder, also look to mobility of the cervical and thoracic spine, and scapula stability.

Outside of direct trauma, those can all be causes of your injury.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Stuart Carraway

Profile:

Quote:
Stuart, thanks for the reply and the reassurance. My orthopedist didn't even recommend rest. He told me it was just a bad strain. I definitely think multiple opinions are in order.

As for Mobility, can you possibly recommend techniques that you have used? So far I've been using the lax ball and hitting my upper bicep, parts of trap, lower neck, upper scapular and directly on my deltoid. I have found many tender spots that make it hard to pin point where exactly it is orginating from. What helped me a lot was using a resistance band on a pull up bar, externally rotating the shoulder, driving on the elbow up and contracting and and releasing by leaning into it. This kills but I feel much better afterwards. Not great. But better.
These are some of the Mobility WODS that helped me out. I hope these help you out.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/07/e...shoulders.html

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/07/c...shoulders.html

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/11/j...pple-neck.html

The last one above is like one that I did but a lot different. I added it to show you were to put the ball. But, you take a band and strap it to a kettle-bell and the put the strap over the lacrosse ball while it is setting right above your collarbone. Then lift your arms over your head and grab onto a pull-up bar, pull-up your legs, and dead hang. Worst thing ever, but those really help. If I find the video then I will send it to you. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Carraway View Post
These are some of the Mobility WODS that helped me out. I hope these help you out.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/07/e...shoulders.html

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/07/c...shoulders.html

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/11/j...pple-neck.html

The last one above is like one that I did but a lot different. I added it to show you were to put the ball. But, you take a band and strap it to a kettle-bell and the put the strap over the lacrosse ball while it is setting right above your collarbone. Then lift your arms over your head and grab onto a pull-up bar, pull-up your legs, and dead hang. Worst thing ever, but those really help. If I find the video then I will send it to you. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Dude, thanks.

Only have a lax ball on me so I was working with that first vid and I definitely felt some relief working my trap. I think I need to hit the top part of the rib though right near my neck.

That kettle bell stretch sounds brutal! How heavy of a bell did you use? 35#?

I iced my shoulder this morning and it responded really well! It makes me believe that it isn't damaged just tweaked. After 20 minutes of icing the pain was almost completely alleviated.

I'll post results after I try the kettle bell mobility.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Stuart Carraway

Profile:

Quote:
Dude, thanks.

Only have a lax ball on me so I was working with that first vid and I definitely felt some relief working my trap. I think I need to hit the top part of the rib though right near my neck.

That kettle bell stretch sounds brutal! How heavy of a bell did you use? 35#?

I iced my shoulder this morning and it responded really well! It makes me believe that it isn't damaged just tweaked. After 20 minutes of icing the pain was almost completely alleviated.

I'll post results after I try the kettle bell mobility.
No problem. I believe I used a 1 pood. Icing does help. I am not trying to say do not do this or that, everyone has different things that help. Mine started as a tweak too, then while doing a muscle-up the tweak popped. Hope everything helps, good luck.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Brian Lelli

Profile:

Your injury sounds amazingly similar to one I'm working through. Same area, after snatches too! Left side also!

For me, it's a form of bicep tendinitis and it SUCKS.

It's been about 9 days of proper rehab on my part and being smart in the gym and I feel loads better. Here is what I've been doing

Internal and external rotations 2 sets of 12-20 reps per arm with light weight tubing
Forward and backward pulls with tubing (putting shoulder in flexion and adduction) same set rep range
Lightweight side and front raises (2lbs)

Lots of lax ball work on traps and pecs to release any pressure and/or tension. The pec work feels amazing.

Look up some stuff by Eric Cressey, he's a wizz with shoulders!

The boring part has been the modified workouts and the lighter weights. No overhead work or pull ups/chin ups. I've found that I can run, squat and bench(with neutral grip on a Swiss bar).

Good luck Adam, I'm going through it with you right now too!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lelli View Post
Your injury sounds amazingly similar to one I'm working through. Same area, after snatches too! Left side also!

For me, it's a form of bicep tendinitis and it SUCKS.

It's been about 9 days of proper rehab on my part and being smart in the gym and I feel loads better. Here is what I've been doing

Internal and external rotations 2 sets of 12-20 reps per arm with light weight tubing
Forward and backward pulls with tubing (putting shoulder in flexion and adduction) same set rep range
Lightweight side and front raises (2lbs)

Lots of lax ball work on traps and pecs to release any pressure and/or tension. The pec work feels amazing.

Look up some stuff by Eric Cressey, he's a wizz with shoulders!

The boring part has been the modified workouts and the lighter weights. No overhead work or pull ups/chin ups. I've found that I can run, squat and bench(with neutral grip on a Swiss bar).

Good luck Adam, I'm going through it with you right now too!
Always nice to hear you're not the only one, right?

That's what's crazy about injuries. The pain radiates to a certain area but the cause can be above or below it. In your case below.

I didn't get a chance to do the kettle bell work but its in my to do list.

For now it's heavy lax ball work and PVC pipe pass throughs. I am feeling much better today and I am at the point where I need to search for the position to get any uncomfortableness.

The only thing I'm worried about is after the first occurrence I felt 100% and it came back. Ill take a few more days and focus on proper rehab.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Brian Lelli

Profile:

Good luck with the rehab. Shoot me a message if you figure any miracle movements haah

Being smart is boring, but it's a must. I'm backing down on my training in the gym and reducing the BJJ I'm doing.

I feel like a fat slob sitting around doing nothing but rehab. It just better work! haha